Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

“Oh, I also need to change my name at the doctors' today.” Diana smiled again, “Mrs. Diana Mitchell.” We were in the car on the way to our ultrasounds. I was now twenty four weeks pregnant (six months) and Diana was twelve weeks (three months).

“Alright Di!” I sighed, “You've told me already... Four times.”

“Sorry.” She giggled, “I'm just in a really good mood!”

“You have been for six weeks.” I reminded her, “Ever since you married Aden...”

“Well, since then out relationship has definitely gotten a lot better.” She grinned, “And since we've been living together, which I can thank you for Mel.”

“No problem.” I stated simply. Don't get me wrong, I loved having Diana, Aden and Joel live with us, but it's a bit of a strain. Every time Joel wakes up so does Chrissie, Chrissie's having to share all of her toys, food, etc, and we're I'm constantly babysitting Joel. And I know it's my fault. I offered to have her...

“So when do you think I should start maternity leave?” Di suddenly asked after a few minutes of silence, “I'm thinking soon.”

“What?” I gasped, “You've only just gone back because you needed more money, and now you want to leave again?!”

“It's not my fault I don't have the right qualifications to get paid maternity leave...” She muttered.

“Go back to university then!” I yelled as we pulled into the car park, “What happened to your 'lifelong dream' to work in fashion?”

“I dunno.” She shrugged, taking Joel in his car seat from the back seat, “I'm happy where I am now Mel. I'm a waitress yeah, but I'm also a mum and a wife.”

“Well sadly, having a family doesn't put food on the table. Actually, it strains that.” I explained, taking Chrissie from her car seat and carrying her to the waiting room.

“Shut up Melanie.” She hissed, “I'm young and in a good place in my life right now! I don't need to be earning tons of money.”

“You're living with me Diana!” I shouted, causing people to stare, “It's not fair that Chrissie can't get any sleep because Joel cries throughout the night, it's not fair I'm always stuck babysitting, it's not fair Chrissie has to share her things with Joel, and it's definitely not fair that you're always late on the rent!”

“Well if that's how you feel...” She whispered, but the doctor called her name before I could apologise.

I chased after her into the room, with Chrissie, but she didn't object.

“Diana Pickett isn't it?” The doctor asked. She looked rather young... “I'm Dr. Sanders, I'll be filling in for Dr. Swan today.”