Chapter Thirty-Two

We drove and drove and drove some more. Driving was the only way to escape D.C, and return to Nevada.

Hardly anybody spoke on the way back. We took the same routine of swapping drivers all the time, and continued like that all the way back home. We stopped off several times to clean out a shop or two, gather some supplies. We didn't meet many Reapers, and more importantly, no government. That was a relief. I didn't eat or sleep the whole way home.

Weeks and weeks later, we arrived back at our beloved cable car resort, the jeeps running on basically nothing. We trudged up the mountain in silence, no one knowing what to say. We were one man short.

Alex booted up the lighting and Lyndsay scraped together the food we had left behind. We all sat down in the "lunch hall", and Seth was surprisingly the first to speak.

"Did I do the right thing?" He asked aloud.

No one answered at first, because no one really knew. But Abbie piped up.

"Maybe. Maybe not. In my mind, you did, because we're all still together. Anything that separates us isn't worth the risk. We'll find more people, people who really want to help. Then we can find a cure."

Seth nodded gratefully.

"I agree," Alex muttered. "I mean, people would say it was a dick-ish move, not sacrificing yourself to save the population of the planet but hey; Abbie's right. We'll find more people."

Everyone murmured in agreement, nodding their heads. It fell silent again.

"Did... Did I do the right thing?" Matt asked quietly. He hadn't said anything the whole way back. He obviously felt bad about Jacob.

"Yeah, man, you did. You saved him a lot of grief from the White House. Plus, you're right. He would have told them all about this place." Callum stated. "I think you did the right thing for sure."

Seth nodded also, as did Liam. Everyone was soon in agreement.

"We all did what had to be done." Liam said, putting down his empty can of beans. "No one should feel guilty about anything that happened today."

"Yeah." I whispered. "We're all together, and that's all that matters in this fucked up planet."

"Too true," Abbie muttered.

"Guys," I said. "I know I may not have known you for all that long. Heck, I haven't even known you guys for a year. But I would trust, each and every one of you with my life, you know that? I'm not just saying it, its true. Before all this happened, the apocalypse, I mean, I could barley stop crying in that damned orphanage. Every day, sobbing my eyes out, heart breaking... but now... you guys, I mean... Just thanks, I guess. That's what I'm trying to say." I sniffed. "I could never survive this without you all."

Seth's fingers brushed mine nonchalantly as everyone smiled and stayed quiet. We all wanted to savour this moment. As long as we stayed, framing and embedding this picture in our minds, we could face anything. Because, after all, we had each other.

And that's all that matters in this fucked up planet.

Everything returned to normal after that, as I glanced at Seth quickly, catching his gaze. His eyes sparkled, as if he was already planning out next adventure, making my heart do a little jump at the prospect.

It was that moment, surrounded by the people who I loved, I knew.

Everything was going to work out, sometime. Everything would be fine, one day. All we had to do was fight for it. And with that team, anything was possible.

Anything.

*Author Note*

And that is the end of Killing Corpses!

I hope you enjoyed the story as I really loved writing it! I don't know if there will be a second one, I really like the way this one ended. I'm so happy with the way it turned out, I hope you are too!

As always, thanks for reading!

I'll hopefully see you in my next adventure (AKA story) :)

Thanks again

H x