Chapter Eight

I heard a girl's voice as I woke up slightly, I don't know how long after the murder in the city.

Where was I?

"Calum, if that were a Reaper bite, she'd be dead by now. You know it. Give her time, let her wake up."

I felt extremely nauseous, and I didn't dare move for the fear of being sick. I hated being sick.

Then I heard a guy's voice.

"You know what those things are capable of Abbie! I'm not letting a trace of that god forbidden curse walk among us! Survival of the fittest, remember?"

The girl, Abbie, sighed and I heard her pace the floor a little bit.

"Okay, so she has an injury. It may or may not be a bite. Why don't we just unwrap the bandage and have a look-"

"No!" Calum said. "Didn't you hear me? You aren't getting near that infection, okay? Stay away from this girl, I mean it!" He sounded angry.

I heard a gun being loaded, and that was enough to make me move. I shot bolt upright, and made the two people gasp loudly, the girl squealed. I panted when I sat up, and looked at the two people for the first time.

The girl, Abbie, was on the left. She looked about my age, 14, maybe a bit older. She had blonde hair, all dirty and greasy, plaited over one shoulder. She was pretty - or had been. She looked like she had been more than a fouteen year old should have been through, and I had a feeling it wasn't just something like being and orphan. She had kind brown eyes, inviting and warm. She loooked so nice, freckles dotted all over her heart shaped face. But it was plastered with fear and anticipation. Because of me.

I snapped my head toward the guy, Calum. Or at least I tried to look at him. It's kind of hard to see someone when the barrel of a gun is pointed right at your face. I panted heavily, and caught a glimpse of him.

He was buff, with broad shoulders and a shaven head. He was the same age as Abbie, I guessed. He had brown eyes too, but his were as cold as ice, and about as inviting as a slughter house. He was obvioulsly a guy I didn't want to get the bad side on.

It looked like I already had.

He was glaring at me in a way I didn't know was humanly possible. Abbie seen this and tried to steady him.

"Calum," She said camly. "Put the gun down. She's the first person we've seen since-"

"What's under that bandage?" Calum asked bluntly and firmly. His eyes weren't going to leave mine anytime soon.

I panted heavier, paralysed with fear. I was so confused.

There was a moment of silence, filled with heavy breathing and tension.

Then Calum exploded. "WHAT'S THE INJURY?!" He sreamed, pressing the gun to my temple. I screamed, and Abbie pulled back on his arm.

"Calum don-!"

"I SWEAR TO GOD GIRL-" He tried to roar. But I cut him off.

"It's a dog bite!" I threw my hands up in surrender. "I swear! It was a dog!"

Silence and tension filled the room. Heavy breathing filled the space as Abbie looked between us helplessly, silently pleading Calum to put his gun down. Calum sized me up, trying to detect wether I was telling the truth or not.

Then, without warning, he grabbed my bad arm.

"OW!" I cried. It was agony, and I didn't want to look at it, in case it had an infection, or anything like that. I wasn't good with open wounds.

I clamped my eyes together and grittted my teeth, looking in the opposite direction, as he peeled away the disgusting bandage.

I heard Abbie gag, and Calum grunt. I didn't cry, I refused to. If I was going to survive, I needed to be strong. Or else.

I felt him tear away the banage completley, and examining it closley. I felt his hot breath on my skin, creeping me out a lot. I whimpered as he poked and prodded, here and there. It took him a good few minutes to come to a conclusion.

"Fine." He said. He threw my arm back at me, and I grasped it to my chest, in pain. "But don't think I'm a pushover. You can stay here tonight. We'll handcuff you to the wall, and if you haven't turned by tomorrow... Well, we'll see what happens."

"Thank you..." I breathed. I almost collapsed after the pressure I had just been under. I could have died, there and then.

I got up to move to the corner, to get new bandages, When Calum caught my shoulder. He still had his gun in his other hand, which made him look extremely meanacing. "Hey," He said. "What's your name?"

I looked over his shoulder at Abbie, who was obviously curious too.

"Copsyn." I said. "Copsyn Roberts."