Chapter Thirteen

As soon as I seen sunlight again, I got prepared.

I still wore the clothes I got from the cabin, hiking boots too. I nearly tried to tie my hair up, but then I remembered.
I found a knife in Abbie's jacket, and I picked up my rifle, pulling the strap onto my shoulder. I tied up my boots, tousled my hair up a bit, and took a deep breath.
No one was going to get my food for me.
I made sure they were both still asleep before I left, trying desperately not to make a sound. They had done an extremely thorough job on barricading the door. Really, they outdid themselves.
They had boarded over the door, then shoved filing cabinets and desks from the office up against it. It was obviously made to be impossible to penetrate, form the inside and out.
I gave up on the door, and looked for some other means of getting out. There had to be somewhere they got out to go on their "runs".
Soon, I found a door that was only slightly piled up with various office appliances. It was at the very back of the office, unseen unless you looked for it.
I figured it was my best bet, and slowly made my way out.

I came out the back of the small booth, and looked at it properly. It looked like a small, underground ticket stall, the shutters all the way down, letting very little light in. If I hadn't been taken in by Abbie and Calum, I would probably never have known they were in there.
I made sure the door I had come from was secure again, and hoisted my bags and my rifle higher up onto my shoulder. My bag was empty, but I was hoping I could fill it with food by the end of my trip.
I began walking slowly and quietly towards the steps up from the subway, with stealth I didn't know I even had. I stopped at the bottom, and listened for sounds before proceeding. Nothing.
Then, I looked back at the little ticket booth. Was I sure I wanted to do this? I was probably going to die. I was terrified, but at the same time, dangerously curious to properly see the 'Reapers' out there.
I began tiptoeing up the steps, trying not to make any noise. I was successful, and made it out into the open, the sunlight blinding.

It was amazing to feel the sun again, a small breeze blowing. I felt normal. Then, the brightness subsided, and I saw the real damage.
I was in a small square, surrounded by streets, which were stained red. Half eaten corpses lay on the ground, dead versions of their walking relatives. The stench was overpowering.
There was paper floating all over the ground, shopping bags discarded in a desperate attempt to escape the dead. I wondered if the people who had dropped the bags had made it or not.
I choked back gags, held back screams, and tried not to cry. It was the first time this really sunk in. It was the apocalypse. The apocalypse. Zombies.

I checked around me, trying hard not to look at the bodies. I searched for walking ones, not seeing any.
In the distance, over the square, I could see a small corner shop, with windows that had been boarded up, but recklessly torn down. There was dust in the windows, and no sign of life whatsoever, so I decided to go for it.
I stuck to the walls of the surrounding buildings, in the shadows, not seen by anything that might have been there. I didn't really think as I ran. I just blocked everything out, hearing only the blood pounding in my ears.
My fingers scraped along the walls as I hurriedly shuffled past them, moving quick. My heart was racing and my palms were sweaty, I couldn't have been more scared, in case something jumped out on me. But soon enough I reached the shop, and darted inside.

And through all this time, I was completely unaware of the stranger watching me intently from the fifth floor of a large building, smeared all over in Reaper guts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N

Hi guys!
I hope you're all enjoying this so far, this is where it finally starts to get good. More zombies, yay!
This is also where the final main character comes in, oooooooooooh:D
I hope people are actually reading this though, because I'm so excited for the rest of this story, i have so much planned. And if you know me, you'll know I'm a MASSIVE walking dead fan. Seriously. So i have loads of theories and tips on how to survive the apocalypse, thats basically why I wanted to write a zombie-ish novel, i thought it would be fun :D

Anyways, im sitting here rambling to myself at ten minutes to 12 at night soooo yeahhh
Imma go to sleep 😂

Night 😝
H x

Killing Corpses (zombie novel)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara