Chapter Seven

The engine of the dirtbike purred to a halt, finally out of gas. I feebly attempted to start it up again, but there was no point. The thing was dead. It had died on a road in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees. I had no idea where I was.

I reluctantly crawled off of it, and hoisted my bag higher up onto my shoulders. I winced as I did, the dog bite stinging with every move. The bandage was already stained crimson, and wasn't going to last long. But when Igot to the city, I would get it treated.

I sighed, and brushed wisps of my hair from my face, with my good arm this time. My brown locks were swept up into a high ponytail, out of my face.

I began walking, my legs feeling numb, and started to think about home. Was Cassie thinking of me? Where there police out looking for me? Or had she not noticed yet? Probably the third one.

I wiped her from my mind, all of them, and walked with a bigger spring in my step, drawing my attention to something else.

It was weird. All of the nature seemed to have disappeared. There were no birds singing, no squirrels scavenging, and no bees buzzing. The forest seemed... Dead.

I finally reached the end of the road, and the sight I seen shook me.

A motorway. An empty motorway.

Never, in my life, have I ever seen a californian highway empty. It just doesn't happen.

But here it was. And there were no cars at all.

I took a few hesitant steps forward, and started walking again, gripping on to my backpack. I could feel the rifle touching my leg, and it freaked me out. I never thought I would have to carry a gun. Ever.

Now look at me.

Walking down an empty highway with a bag ransacked from a dead man's home.

Jeez.

I continued walking, until it finally came into view. The city.

It wasn't what I thought it would be. I expected it to be booming of life. Loads of people, loads of places. But there was... Nothing.

I finally entered the city, and it was extremely creepy. The big buildings looked hollow and empty, with no life in them. There was not a noise to be heard, except the distant rumble of thunder in the distance. Loose bits of paper flew around every now and again, but that was it.

Then, I noticed stranger things.

Windows were all boarded up, and some looked as though they had been teared down. A disturbing red colour oozed out from underneath some doors. Everything looked dirty, and unkept, and some of the large skyscrapers' windows were smashed. There were several stains of blood lining the pavements along, as I walked hesitantly, terrified.

Then, I seen my second dead body within an hour.

This was a girl. Probably only two or three years older than me. She looked as though she had fallen victim to the same monstrosity the hunting man at the cabin had. I gasped, and covered my mouth with my good hand. She had been... mauled, from the jaw down, and, apart from above her nose, she was nothing but bloody, skeletal remains. She had had blonde hair, which was now ripped out, only left in some clumps on her head. Her eyes were wide open, paralysed in fear, dull blue orbs staring at me for help. Flies had settled on the raw insides of the girl (very few left) and were buzzing manically as they investigated. I batted them away furiously, and did the decency of closing her eyes for her, stroking her eyelids down, so they closed.

I felt like I was going to be sick, and I nearly was. But I held it back, That was the last thing I needed. What is going on? I asked myself silently. None of this makes any sense...

I felt tears brick up at the back of my eyes, as I was truly spooked. Being alone in a city which should be booming with life is not an easy feeling. I constantly felt like I was being watched, like I was never safe. I just couldn't find a reason for the city, of all places, to be completley and utterly deserted.

But then I found someone.

Or what I thought was someone.

I lifted my head from the sight of the girl, to see a figure, maybe ten metres or so away, slouched over another victim as I was. He had obviously had a worse time than I had through this, his clothes were dirty, and from what I could see, also had blood on them. I stood up shakily, and made my way over to him, taking small, quiet steps. I still needed to be stealthy, even if he may be the only other person in this city.

He looked as though he was searching her, his fingers fiddling with something on her stomach, I thought. But I was still to far away to see what he was really doing.

I aproached slowly, my hand resting on my rifle on my bag. My heart was beating out of my chest. It definetly was blood on his shirt. And hands. And trousers. Everywhere.

I heard a horrible squelching shound as I got nearer. And a trickling sound, as though someone was running a tap. And groaning. As if he were... Enjoying examining her.

I finally got about a metre behind him, and thought it was best to stay there. I stood for about a minute, trying to figure out those noises, and what on earth he was doing. And then I made a huge mistake. I sneezed.

I didn't mean to. It just slipped out. But it could have cost me my life.

The guy stopped what he was doing.

And he turned around.

And I screamed.

That's when I seen my third dead body within an hour. Only this one was walking.

My first thought was zombie, and it fit the description.

It stuggled toward me, jaunty, uneven steps, as it's dissembowelled limbs stretched out to reach me. Blood stained fingers grabbed at thin air, trying to feed on something fresh. Several peices of rotten flesh hung off of his face, exposing a green mould underneath. His jaw looked dislocated, and it was lopsided to the left. He wasn't green, like your steriotypical zombie. He was just extremly pale. Sheet white. His eyes were glazed over, as if he was in a trance. His pupils were barley visible, and gave a really creepy impression. He groaned and rasped, desperate for my taste. It was the most inhuman sound, and made me freeze. The first time I heard it, my blood ran cold. I just froze on the spot, unable to move. He neared closer, maggots spilling out of his shirt at the bottom...
I felt dazed, disorientated...
I screamed, and attracted more of them.
They spilled out from all directions, buildings, subways, everywhere, like cockroaches...
I whimpered as my arm throbbed more, head pounding...
And finally, I fell to the floor, in a dark sleep.