Chapter 9

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, like my egg?"

"Precisely! We have reason to believe that your egg is special indeed. It takes a strong rider to successfully ride a dragon from a multi-colored egg."

"Oh. Okay. What now?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well," he replied thoughtfully "we wait."

"For what?" I voiced my confusion

"For your egg to hatch."

"Ok..." I trail off "How long will that take?"

He chuckles. "A bit impatient are we?" I blush and don't reply.

"I didn't catch your name." I try to start a conversation.

"I never threw it." I sigh, exasperated. "It's Aaron." I nod. Aaron. Nice name.
"Wait. I thought you said your name was Fox..."
He shrugged "Ya. I do it to everyone when I first meet them. 1/2 don't realize and either still call me Fox or call me Aaron."
'Weirdo.' I thought to myself.

In the silence of the room, everyone hears a noise. it sounds like breaking glass. My eyes go immediately to my egg and I see it is shaking. Kneeling down to touch it, all the soon-to-be dragon riders and their attendants come over to see. I reach out a hand and the surface of the egg is pulsing. It flares and rocks violently. The heat spikes and suddenly, a small piece of the shell breaks off the top. We all gasp and the egg goes still. No one moves for a few minutes until we hear another crack. A jagged line has appeared in my egg and I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. The line flares once and everything is quiet again.

Suddenly, the egg fully splits into two, nearly perfect, halves. A small body rolls out and lays in the nest, breathing shallowly. Small, oval shaped scales cover it's body and two graceful horns curve from it's head. The scales are a rich black color but it's feet, nose, tail, and the tips of each horn are a light gold. I instinctively know it's a female, Amipere. Her name is Amipere. Amipere's eyes open and everyone gasps. The base color is purple but there are visible spots of dark gold. She looks like a large cat in some ways, yet she is completely different. Her body is the same shape, but she has three major differences. Her back has little ridges on it, she has a more narrow, feminine, head, and (of course) large wings. Slowly, everyone leaves me, Aaron, and Amipere alone. There are more cracks and gasps until everyone has their dragon.

They are a sea of colors, blue, green, purple, red. They all blend into each other. Each one has a unique scale and eye color. I hear whispers among the trainees. Most likely their dragons name.

"Zephyr"

"Thalia"

"Tide"

"Carma"

"Heath"

"Poy"

"What's her name?" Aaron asks

"Amipere." I whisper and he smiles.

"Beautiful." he says.

"EVERYONE LISTEN UP!" I hear Hunter shout. "OK! Now that you all have your dragons, and their names, you are free to go to dinner." I stare, stunned, this had taken all day? What?

"Well," I turn to Aaron "see you at dinner."

"Ok." he smiles at me and I realize how handsome he is. His black hair is just messed up to make it endearing and his light gray eyes sparkle with mysteries. I am running to the dining hall when I hear the cry. It sounds like a whining cat and pulls my heart strings. I skid to a stop and wait. It calls again but is closer. A large black blob comes rushing around the corner and knocks into me.