09 | Growing

I smiled as I curled into bed. It was our first break of the semester. We had one random day of school off, and people called it "mid-semester day." I didn't actually know if I should believe if this was an actual thing or not, but everyone seemed to have no classes today. Odd as it was, I wasn't going to complain about a day off.

I was currently snuggled into my bed at home, and it felt like Skye was lazing around on top of my hip. I reached a hand out from underneath my covers and stroked the top of her head. She purred softly before nuzzling her way closer to me. I unplugged my phone from its charger and stared at the screen. Normally, it would be a picture of Skye, bathing in the sunlight as she always does. However, this morning—if you consider 11:43 still morning—it was shaded out by a text message. A few of them, actually.

Hunter Andrews 2:13am
Carson are you ok you aren't in the room

Hunter Andrews 2:36am
just let me know when you get this

Hunter Andrews 2 hours ago
Carson seriously answer me I'm really worried

As I went to unlock my phone, it began buzzing incessantly in my hand. Hunter's name flashed across the screen, so I quickly answered.

"Carson!" he breathed out in relief.

"Hey," I croaked. My voice was thick from sleep still. "Sorry I couldn't answer. I was sleeping. I forgot to tell you that my mom picked me up last night. Surprise visit home."

"Jesus Christ." He sounded exhausted. I felt terrible for not telling him earlier. Even by his messages, I could tell that he was worried sick. I could hear it in his voice now. It made me feel even worse. Did he lose sleep over me being gone? "You scared the shit out of me."

"I'm really sorry."

He sighed, but it didn't sound happy or relieved this time. He sounded...frustrated, almost. It was a difficult emotion to describe based on just hearing it in someone else's voice. The guilt was weighing on me; it felt like Skye was lying on my chest, which I know she wasn't.

It was a while before he spoke again. He sounded...defeated, tired. "Tell me next time, please. I was really worried, Carson."

"I know," I lamented. "I'm really sorry."

"I know you are." It was quiet for a moment before he spoke again. "I have to go now. Tell your mom I said hi."

"I will."

We disconnected without much of a goodbye. My bubbly feeling from sleeping in just plummeted, and I just placed my phone back down. I shifted a bit, making Skye jump off of me. I sighed before turning over. What could I do now? I didn't feel like leaving my bed anymore.

I stared at the wall for a while before my bladder and stomach made themselves known. I frowned and lazily pushed myself up from by bed. The mattress was warm beneath my hand, and the sheets were crumpled from my movement last night. I half tried to make the sheet look straight again, patting it a few times, before groaning softly and leaving my bed.

I went to the bathroom and did my business, washing my hands quickly before leaving. I wandered down the hall to the empty kitchen. Poking my head through the cabinets and fridge, I couldn't find anything that seemed really appetizing to me. I gnawed on my lip, wondering what I could eat. Mom had a few fruits stocked in the fridge. I wanted food though, not a snack.

I continued to rummage through the kitchen until I found some cereal. I had seen some soy milk on one of the fridge shelves, so I decided that cereal would be good enough. It's already past noon, but this is technically my breakfast. I spotted a bunch of bananas on the counter by the bread, so I took one and sliced it up before adding it to the otherwise bland bowl of breakfast soup.