Chapter 1 - Put on Your War Paint

Lily Matthews

It's a lot of work being the only makeup artist on set for Fall Out Boy's video shoot, but it's especially stressful when Pete Wentz refuses to get in the chair at the time we agreed upon. I was waiting in the dressing room, having just finished Joe and Andy, and was waiting for Pete to get his ass in here so I could cover him in blood. Fake blood, of course. They were shooting a series of videos for their new album, Save Rock and Roll, and Pete himself had asked me personally to tag along with them as their only makeup artist. Why they couldn't have at least one more artist on set made no sense to me, but whatever. At least three of the four guys were easy to work with.

Well, maybe that was an overstatement. Patrick Stump wasn't the easiest to work with either, but not in the same way as Pete. Patrick was usually on time for me, and he always sat stock still in his chair, never questioning anything I did to his hair or his face. But it was the way he looked at me, the things he said, that made it difficult. He was a much bigger flirt than people gave him credit for, even if he didn't realize he was doing it. He always had that damn smile on his face when I was working with him, the kind of smile that guys don't just hand out to people like they're thoughtless and meaningless. It was always a real, genuine, flirty smile.

I sighed and threw down a towel on the counter, pulling myself out of my thoughts while I waited for Pete. Andy was still sitting in the hydraulic chair, spinning around in it like a child and chuckling a my frustration. "I could go look for him, Lily," he offered, smiling at me as I rolled my eyes.

"It's fine, Andy," I sighed, "I'll just give him hell when he gets here. It's his own time he's wasting anyways."

"And mine," Andy laughed, "I'd like to finish this shoot sometime this century."

"At this rate, you'll be dragging me along on tour to finish shooting," I giggled, leaning against the counter and crossing my arms. Just then, there was a soft knock at the door. I didn't get my hopes up, because I knew it wasn't Pete; He never knocked, only one person ever did. I crossed the little trailer I had been given to work in and opened the door, looking down the few steps to where Patrick stood. "Hey, Patrick," I sighed, looking around behind him for Pete, but there was no sign of him."

"Hi Lily," Patrick said, stepping up towards me. "Pete said that I should trade spots with him for makeup, because he had something to do."

"Of course he does," I laughed, stepping inside so that Patrick could follow me in. "Come on in." I walked over to get the makeup I needed for Patrick out, along with the pink-stained cloth I used to wrap up his hand. Andy got up and said he was going to look for Pete, and Patrick took his spot in the chair. I stood him front of him and grabbed some foundation, beginning to get to work as he smiled at me. "How are you today, Patrick?" I asked, starting up our usual small talk.

"Pretty good," he responded, closing his eyes as I moved over his face. "How about you, Miss Matthews?"

"Besides the usual frustration at Pete, I'm doing alright," I said, smiling as I set down the foundation and set to work on bloodying him up.

"Sorry about him," Patrick said, opening one eye to peek at me with a smirk. I started making a bloody gash on his forehead and smiled at him.

"It's not your fault, Patrick," I chuckled, "At least I get to do you while I'm waiting for him."

Patrick opened both eyes then and smiled at me. I frowned and rolled my eyes at him, knowing exactly what lewd thoughts were going through his head when I said I could do him. "Don't look at me like that, Stump, you know what I meant."