Chapter 23 - I Wanna Scream I Love You

Patrick Stump

I woke up the next morning to Lily's fingers carding gently through my hair. I was curled tightly around her side, with my head on her chest. I snuggled into her, reluctant to open my eyes to the morning light pouring in through the window. Lily sighed happily and began massaging her fingers against my scalp, making me melt into her with a smile. "Mmm, Lily..." I groaned, "You are literally perfect."

She giggled from above me, her chest trembling with her laughter, and I chuckled back. I squeezed an arm around her waist and buried my face in her t-shirt, almost wishing it wasn't there so I could kiss her bare skin. Unfortunately, I wasn't nearly awake enough to bother pulling the shirt off of her, so I settled for cuddling. She continued playing in my hair for a while, until I finally decided that I needed to move. I rolled over slightly so that most of my body was on top of her and scooted up to press my face into her neck. She giggled as I placed a none too gentle kiss there, squirming beneath me as I pinned her down. "Patrick!" She squealed, knowing I was going to leave a mark on her, but she really wasn't trying that hard to get away from me. I finally pulled away from her neck with a lewd, smacking sound, and grinned down at her, laughing as she pushed me off of her. She grabbed her phone off the bedside table and looked at herself in the camera, gasping. "Patrick! Oh my God!"

"What?" I giggled, pretending not to notice the dark purple mark flowering over her skin. She ran her fingers over it and I smiled proudly.

"What if I had to go out today?" She asked, trying her best to glare at me, but smiling despite herself.

I rolled my eyes playfully and moved closer again, pulling her into my side by her waist. "Where do you have to go today?" I asked.

"Nowhere, but what if I did?" She bent her head slightly, still looking at the camera, and I could see it getting darker. I'd never left a mark like that on her before.

"Well, you're not, so it doesn't matter," I giggled, kissing her cheek gently. "Don't act like you don't like it."

She giggled and let go of her phone, cuddling back into my side and letting me kiss her again. She turned her head to look up at me after a moment, a curious grin on her face. "Are you gonna tell me what you and Pete are doing today?" She asked.

I grinned and gently moved my hand to push her hair back from her face. Last night, Pete and I made plans to go ring shopping for Lily. I was ready to ask her, but I needed to find the perfect ring, and I also needed to make sure that Pete would be my best man if she said yes. "We're going shopping," I told her, not completely lying to her.

"Oooh," she giggled, "For me?"

"Yep," I smiled, gently beginning to pull away from her to climb out of bed. She sat up and watched me walk towards the closet.

"What are you getting me?" She asked, seriously expecting me to tell her. I grinned and shot her a look that said nice try. "Come on," she whined, trying to look cuter than she already did by sticking out her bottom lip. "Just a hint?"

Sighing, I walked back over to the bed and reached for her hands, pulling her up to stand in front of me. She didn't realize it, but I was giving her the hint when I pulled her left hand up and pressed a kiss to the knuckle of her ring finger. "You'll see what it is soon enough," I promised, then let go of her hands and headed for the bathroom, leaving her pouting behind me.

***

Standing in front of the display case, I felt my heart literally drop into my shoes. There were so many, and I had no idea which one she would want. I was so in over my head, but I wanted this so badly that it hurt. Pete stood beside me with his hands in his pockets, looking equally perplexed by the sheer number of engagement rings displayed around us. Why did this have to be so difficult?