Chapter 10 - I'm Such a Happy Mess

Lily Matthews

            I finished cleaning up my trailer just in time for the boys to finish shooting. I opened the door, about to head outside to watch whatever I could before they wrapped up, but Patrick was already marching across the parking lot to me. He had his hook held under his arm, and he was unwrapping his hand from the bloody gauze. I went back inside and shut the door, trying to seem as inconspicuous as possible to the rest of the crew and actors, and waited. A moment passed slowly, and then there was a soft knock at the door. I tried not to answer it too quickly, but I couldn't help the skip in my step as I bounded across the trailer to open it.

            The second it was open, Patrick was gently pushing me into the room and kissing me, kicking the door shut behind him. We stumbled across the floor a bit, until I giggled and forced myself to pull away. "Patrick," I laughed, taking him by the collar of his leather jacket. "Slow down."

            "Why?" He asked, leaning in to kiss me again. "I want to kiss you." He did just that, cupping my face between his hands and kissing me sweetly. I sighed into the kiss, but pulled away again, biting my lip.

            "I thought you wanted to talk?" I reminded him.

            "I do," he stated, moving his hands to lace with mine, "But I've wanted to kiss you again all day." He leaned down for one more final peck, then sighed and pulled me over to the couch with him. "Okay, let's talk," he said, chuckling as I sat down beside him. He held tight to my hands, his thumbs rubbing circles over my knuckles. "Lily," he said softly, "I've thought you were the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, since the day I met you." I blushed ruby red at that, but he only smiled and went on. "At first, I wanted to flirt with you, but I knew I had no chance with a girl as beautiful as you. So, I settled for being your friend. I pushed away all other feelings and even denied it when Pete tried to tell me that I had deeper feelings for you. For a while, I started to believe myself. But that night at the bar, Lily...the moment I kissed you, I knew. I knew I wanted you more than I've ever wanted anything. And the next morning, I was so scared that I'd ruined everything. I thought you would never forgive me, and I took that frustration out on you, which only made it worse." He looked me in the eyes for a moment, then suddenly let go of one of my hands to reach up and lay his hand against the side of my face. He moved his thumb over lmy lips, following it with his eyes as he bit down on his own lip for a second. "This morning...when I saw Pete hugging you, Lily...I knew it wasn't anything. I was being so stupid, because I wished it was me sitting there holding you."

            "You can hold me now," I whispered, cutting off whatever he was going to say next. Without hesitating, he pulled me into him, and oddly enough, he felt like home. It felt like I was supposed to fit perfectly against him, like he was supposed to be just warm enough that I could melt into him without a single care in the world. I rested my head against his shoulder, turning my face into his neck and breathing him in. For someone who'd been running around in the sun all day, covered in fake blood, he smelled fantastic.

            "So," Patrick whispered into my hair after a moment, "Do we tell the guys?"

            I pulled away from him slowly, a small smirk on my lips. "Do we really want to tell Pete?" I giggled, "He'd think he was right."

            "He was," Patrick chuckled, "But you're right, we really don't need him to know that."

            "How about this," I giggled, "I bet you that if we don't tell him, he won't even notice for at least a week."

            "I like that bet," Patrick muttered, leaning closer to me, "Because I don't think he'll last two days." He leaned in all of the way and kissed me, but we were interrupted by a familiar laugh coming from the doorway.