Chapter 15 - Love Selfish Love

Patrick Stump

When I woke up, the first sight to grace my eyes was a beautiful watercolor phoenix tattoo. I blinked a few times, letting my eyes adjust to the garish morning light, and stared at the phoenix. Its wings spread gloriously over two pointed shoulder bones. The tattoo was made up of watercolor splashes of red, orange, and yellow, beautifully contrasting itself with the pale skin surrounding it, and perfectly matching the curly red hair that laid on the pillow beside it. The tail of the phoenix curved just below a set of ribs that stuck out a little from beneath the skin. But even more magnificent than the beautiful tattoo was the woman it was attached to.

She was perfect. And it wasn't the kind of "perfect" you think of when you look at something flawless. Because she wasn't flawless. She was beautiful, talented, funny, and flawed. And she was perfect. The blanket was pulled down, just barely covering her hip. She was naked beneath it anyways, and her legs were still tangled with mine. My hand was resting on her hip, as if to hold her there and never let go, and I was tracing gentle circles into her fair skin with the pad of my thumb. I propped my head up on one hand behind her head, smiling down at her. From here, I could see the faint, flowery marks I'd left on her neck. I could see the slight swell of her parted lips. I could see the way her eyebrows drew slightly closer together, as if she was dreaming.

I moved my hand from her hip to gently push her hair away from her neck. She sighed as my fingers brushed over her skin, but I didn't wake her. I leaned down and placed a ghost of a kiss on the temple of her head, then her cheek, and finally her neck. I lingered there until she sighed again and turned onto her back beneath me, one hand carding through my hair. I moved my arm to the other side of her, throwing a leg over her as well, and hovered over her, still with my lips firmly planted against her neck. She tangled her fingers in my hair, holding me to her as I left more light marks on her. I slowly kissed my way down to her shoulder, where the tip of the phoenix's wing stained her skin, then finally lifted my head and kissed her lips. She hummed appreciatively, and I slowly pulled away.

The second I opened my eyes, I found her green ones shining back at me, like a pair of emeralds. I smiled at her and she smiled back sleepily, her hands siding from my hair down my neck, and finally to my chest. "Good morning, beautiful," I whispered, leaning down until our bare chests were pressed together, but not putting all of my weight on her. She was warm, unbelievably so, and I couldn't help but want to stay there forever, tangled up together in the sheets.

She moved to play with my hair again, smiling as she relaxed her head back into her pillow. "Good morning, Patrick," she whispered. She stared up at me, seemingly content and happy, but I had to ask.

"Was last night okay?" I mumbled, leaning back down to her neck again, as if I had to remind her. She giggled lightly and wrapped her arms around my shoulders.

"Last night was perfect," she whispered, her lips gracing my ear as she spoke. I lifted my head again to look at her.

"You're perfect," I stated.

"I am not," she giggled, pulling me down into a kiss. I wanted to argue, but her lips persuaded me out of it. The kiss turned heated very quickly, and given our lack of clothing, it didn't take much before she was pushing me onto my back and straddling me. I was just about to take it a step further, but unfortunately, the moment was ruined by the doorbell sounding throughout the house. Lily sighed and got off of me, turning her head towards the alarm clock on the bedside table. I noticed that this time, she didn't bother holding the sheet up to her chest. She didn't bother hiding herself from me. "We slept in late," she said, glancing back down at me. "It's almost noon."