Chapter 33: The Beginning of a Certain End.

Chapter 33:

Matthew's P.O.V.

Melody was just upstairs, I could hear her strong heartbeat keep steady but along with that I could hear the faint and deceitful movements of another, a Vampire, along with hers. I took a deep breath and advanced up the stairs cautiously and slowly. I had no doubt that the Vampire knew I was here, my heartbeat would have detected long ago and they were probably getting ready to kill me - if they could.

My wings I had eventually grown to not hate, mainly because of the comfort they provided me and of course the fact they enabled me to actually fly although I wasn't too keen on it, began to unravel and ruffle and spread themselves out.
Adrenaline was rushing through my veins providing me with courage but it was difficult to ignore the anxious feeling that was settled in the pit of my stomach, a foreboding omen. Time had been wasted enough already and Melody's fragile life was in so much danger.
Raven had said he would meet me here but there was still no sign of him, I hated how unreliable he could be at the worst of times, he'd be the death of me. I was sure I could easily take one one measly Nascent vampire on by myself but I had very little control over and knowledge about my power.

I tried not to think too hard about it, finally dashing up the stairs and slamming myself into the only door that was closed upstairs, it didn't budge one bit. Well shit.

"Open the goddamn door!" I pushed against the door again and that's when I became all too aware of how vulnerable Melody really was in there.

If I couldn't even open a door, how was she to survive this?
But I couldn't doubt things. She will survive this. 

"Matt!?" Melody's voice cause a smile to appear on my face and my heart fluttered although I wasn't too sure why. "Get out of here." She sounded abnormally calm.

I felt betrayed, did she really think I'd even consider leaving without her? I could hear the raw clink of metal against metal and the door was wide open within a second. It was as I expected; Melody was being held captive by a Vampire but I never expected it to be the one who'd attacked her. And I didn't understand how he was standing so casually under the door frame. I thought we had scared him off once and for all. 

"Yes, may I help you?" His grin began to grow when he cast his eyes over me.

My body moved by itself, throwing my fist into his jaw and catching him off guard completely.

Matthew - 1
Scummy Vampire - 0

But he didn't react as much as I had hoped, he was a true monster of the Vampire kind - he didn't feel pain or emotion, Vampires like him were simply machines that killed. Behind him Melody let out a gasp and I felt her heart rate began to accelerate rapidly. Slowly flexing his jaw with his malevolent eyes glued to me I was conscious that he'd be monitoring every move I would make from now. However he'd made a fatal mistake when he allowed his snake eyes to connect up with mine, he was my pawn now and I knew every move he would make before he'd make it.
He was focusing on a bag behind him that contained a weapon deadly to all Vampires and I imagined that it could only be a silver stake or a silver weapon of some sort.
I caught a glimpse of Melody as I pushed my way forward and forced my way into the room, her hands covered her mouth and she sat deathly still on the bed.

"Raven is going to come and get you soon Mel." I reassured her calmly, I had this under control and my advantages over Vampires were strong.

"Tsk, what an inconvenience." He straightened himself up, "All I want is revenge on you but if I have to take down a High Born Noble then I'll do it too. And then when I leave the you all incapacitated I'll allow you to watch as I finally finish the meal I've been waiting so long for."