Carina

Sang stopped mid step and tilted her head towards the sound drifting towards her.
Curious she moved forward and then the sounds became obvious; music poured through an open window.
Barefoot, she crossed the lawn, to the other side of the garden, to have a better listen.

The team were staying in a beautiful secluded residence; Italy was now their home of choice.
The gardens were luscious and full of colour.
Autumn was breathtaking here.
A fountain in the courtyard flowed freely with vigour,creating a stunning atmosphere.
Exotic scents intermingled with the mist from the fountain and they were carried in the light breeze producing an enchanting aroma.
It was almost dusk.

A semi circle of one story buildings ,encompassed their new home.
Huge windows with drapes ready to cover the vast expanse of glass , were open.
From one part of the building Sang could hear Gabriel and North, in the distance.
Disagreeing about dinner she thought.
Sang smiled to herself .

Her attention returned however, to the music that flowed through the open window.
She felt a chill, not from the light breeze in the garden, but from the singing that permeated through the air.
Sang felt invisible hands pulling her towards the music.
She quietly made her way towards the direction of the window.
There she stood under a beautiful maple, flush with red leaves.
It allowed her to remain mostly hidden from sight.
Sang peeked through the vast expanse of glass.

Owen Blackbourne sat in a chair, his elbows resting on each arm of the chair.
His fingers joined like a temple, just barely touching his lips.
Deep in thought, he did not stir.
His eyes were open.
His focus straight ahead, unmoving.
Sang felt awkward watching him without his knowledge.

Suddenly her attention was alerted to a soft movement beside her.
Familiar arms reached around Sang's waist and drew her close.
Victor.
Leaning into Victor she rested her head against his chest.
As she continued watching Owen Blackbourne in his chair, Victor's lips rested against her ear.
"It's beautiful isn't it?
Do you know who is singing?"

Sang shook her head slightly, her eyes never moving from Owen Blackbourne.

"That is Maria Callas singing. I love her voice. So pure, so vibrant, so true."
Victor adjusted Sang's hair away from her ear and continued.
"She is singing, Un bel di, from Puccini's Madame Butterfly.
Have you heard it before?"
Again, Sang slightly shook her head, mesmerised by the sight of Owen Blackbourne before her.
"Un bel di" Victor continued is the most famous aria from Madame Butterfly.
It means "one beautiful day."
Butterfly, is a girl who has married an American solider in Japan.
He has returned to America and Butterfly awaits a ship appearing in the harbour that will carry him back to her. She has given birth to a son, that he knows nothing about. She is unaware that he is already married in America. "
Victor sighed , "She awaits for him to come and call her Butterfly. She will not answer him when he does because she wants him to call her the name he used to call her. Little one. Dear wife. Orange blossom."
Victor became silent as the aria continued.
Each note striking the air with beauty ,sadness, and hope.
Sang whispered quietly to Victor, "Did he come back to Butterfly? We're they happy?"
Victor paused and brushed his lips against Sang's ear, "No princess, they didn't get their happy ending. Butterfly discovers that he is already married, just as he enters the house. She kills herself, without seeing him."
"Oh," Sang gasped. "No! Oh poor Butterfly . I can't imagine her pain; her anguish for what she has lost.The betrayal by the one she loved."

Sang and Victor remained silent, listening to the music together.
Victor grasped Sang's arms closer to him as the aria reached its peak.
Sang cried silent tears as she listened to the outpouring of emotion that fell all around them.
The sound of the fountain flowing, now faded into the background.
For that moment in time, Sang heard nothing but Maria Callas delving into Sang's very soul.

Owen Blackbourne sat in the chair, oblivious to all around him.
His fingers steepled in front of him,just barely touching his lips.
Carina.
His thoughts took him back to Carina.
It seemed so long ago.
He closed his eyes.
She had been here , in this very room.

A beautiful olive skinned girl had knelt before Owen.
Her long black hair cascading around her shoulders.
She had taken both his hands in hers and kissed each of them, her eyes closing as she did.
"Owen," she whispered.
"Owen, come back to me.
I beg you.
Come back to me.

Luce mia.
Vita mia.
Anima mia."

My light.
My life.
My soul.

"Ti amo."

I love you.

Owen looked at his hands held firmly in Carina's grasp.
Her hands were so soft, so delicate.
Owen could not look at Carina, his eyes remained focused on their hands.
Gently Carina removed a hand and gracefully cupped Owens chin, directing his eyes to hers.

"Luce mia, per sempre."

"My light, forever."

Carina blinked tears from her eyes and allowed them to cascade down her face and fall from her chin.

"Ti amo."

"I love you."

Sobs erupted from Carina's lips, yet she kept her eyes focused on Owen's.
Owen gently raised a hand and caressed Carina's cheek.
Carina leaned into his hand and closed her eyes.

"Mi dispiace, amore mio."

"I'm sorry, my beloved."

"We cannot go back Carina. I have failed you completely."

Owen now allowed a tear to roll down his cheek.
His head hung in shame and loss.

The aria had finished.
Owen opened his eyes and took a moment to focus on his surroundings.
His eyes stung with sadness and tears.
He briefly wiped his hand across his eyes.
He stood up and adjusted his grey silk tie.
He then reached for his suit jacket which had been removed and placed on another chair.
As he turned to lift the jacket off the chair something caught his eye outside the window.
There he saw Sang in Victor's embrace, her eyes towards him.
Owen Blackbourne saw grief, loss and heartache in Sang's eyes.

He tilted his head slightly in acknowledgment as if to say.
Yes, you are right that happened to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks to Lesia who Beta read this chapter for me.
I appreciate your help immensely!

I would like to dedicate this chapter to Cliff
Cliff has been present from my first attempt at writing.
He has also continued to be a figure in all my chapters since.
Cliff....you're the best!!!!!