A meeting of minds

The most beautiful haunting melody filled the night air.
Another glorious night in Italy, the humid evening permeated with aromas from the luscious garden.
The night sky filled with stars twinkling and dancing; the heavens rejoicing.
A barefoot Sang was sketching as she sat on the edge of the fountain.
Lanterns strung throughout the garden, casting warm light.

Her feet were lightly skimming the surface of the water, as she became immersed in her pleasurable task.
Her pencil paused mid stroke as she tilted her head with curiosity to glean where this glorious sound was emanating from.
Sang's breath hitched.
A harp!
Her skin prickled as goosebumps began to appear upon her arms and across the back of her neck.
Setting aside her pencil and sketch pad, Sang lifted her feet from the water, turned in one swift movement and stood up.
The music seemed to be coming from the patio doors at the opposite side of the garden.
Her task forgotten, entranced by the delicate plucking of strings; an angel sang.

My love said to me:

"My mother won't mind

And me father won't slight you

For your lack of kind".

Then she stepped away from me

And this she did say:

"It will not be long, love,

Till our wedding day."

She stepped away from me

And she moved through the fair

And fondly I watched her

Move here and move there

And she went her way homeward

With one star awake

As the swans in the evening

Move over the lake.

Sang, mesmerised by the haunting melody, tiptoed across the garden, remaining out of sight.
Her body gently moved to the music without conscience.
Each word sang and each note plucked, called to her. The song of hope and loss washed over Sang, yet its beauty remained. Her skin hummed with anticipation,as she made her way slowly upon the cool grass with measured steps.

The people were saying

No two e'er were wed

But one has a sorrow

That never was said

And she smiled as she passed me

With her goods and her gear

And that was the last

That I saw of my dear.

I dreamed it last night

That my true love came in

So softly she entered

Her feet made no din

She came close beside me

And this she did say:

"It will not be long, love,

Till our wedding day."

The final notes resonated throughout the night air. A stilling hand rested upon the strings to quieten them.
A sadness washed over Sang as the song finished.Sang held her hand to her throat as she approached the patio doors.
Still hidden by shadows and moonlight, she dared to peek through the open doors.
There, with her two hands on either side of the harp, to quieten the resonant sound, was an angel.
She had olive skin and luscious black hair that cascaded down her back.
Two soulful, deep brown eyes glanced up from the harp towards the garden.
A voice so sweet and pure reached Sang's ears.
"Please, come in, I'd like to meet you, Sang.
I'm Carina."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much to Lesia who Beta read.