Love lost

Owen Blackbourne sat at the edge of the pier, staring at the lake. The water gently rippling as a gentle breeze blew.

The wind changed direction, and Owen breathed in a scent that brought with it vibrant, happy memories that belonged in another time, but not another place.

"Carina," Owen whispered, yet he did not stir from his position.

"Owen." His name caressed Carina's lips. "It's been a while, old friend," she spoke softly.

Owen sat perfectly still. To the untrained eye, he never moved.

Carina, however, noticed how his nostrils slightly flared as he inhaled her scent.

"You still wear your mother's perfume, Anais Anais," Owen stated.

"How could I not, Owen? It makes me feel close to her. If I close my eyes, she is still here with me," Carina's voice faltered, ever so slightly. Owen heard it though.

"Come sit beside me," Owen requested. He still looked out across the beautiful lake.

Carina obeyed and sat beside Owen.

Silently, they looked out across the lake; the waters calm. Both were deep in thought.

Carina broke the silence, "I know why you're here, Owen."

Carina turned and looked at his profile. He was dressed casually today. Something that she knew he didn't always feel comfortable doing. In a suit, Owen felt more in control.

In a suit or casually, she could read Owen Blackbourne like a book. Time might have physically changed both of them. As she anticipated, she felt that pull and she prayed that he still did as well.

"Your running, Owen, you need sanctuary. That is why your here, home, at my parent's home," Carina said categorically.

Owen remained still and didn't answer her statement. However, Carina, noticed the pulse in his neck increase ever so slightly. They barely had said more than a few sentences, yet their physical presence, to each other, spoke more than words ever could. That in itself, Carina contemplated was yet another demonstration as to just how close their relationship had been. They had been soul mates; children who grew into adulthood together. Their lives had been intertwined by their mothers, who were best friends and encouraged their friendship. Summers here by the lake at her parent's house, swimming in this very lake. Christmas at his father's skiing lodge in the Alps. The seasons changed, they'd changed with the seasons. They'd blossomed from childhood to youth, the future full of colour and promise.

Memories flooded Carina in a rush. She exhaled, and placed her hands in her lap. She placed her right hand over her left. Then she repeated the action, only placing the left hand over the right. So it continued, until Owen finally turned to face Carina and gently placed his hand on top of hers to stop her actions.

"I'm sorry, Carina," Owen said. His voice was thick with emotion and he swallowed before he tried to speak again.

Carina stopped him though, "No, Owen, don't say it! I can't bear it! I can't....I won't listen to you saying it," her voice filled with pain and desperation.

"That time has gone, Owen, it's over, there is nothing to be done, nothing to be said, nothing, that will bring them back." A tear betrayed Carina's courage and slipped down her cheek.

"I'm the reason that they are gone, Carina, I can never, I won't ever forget that."

Owen lifted his hand and pointed to his heart. "This is where it stays, Carina, here. It will never leave me, until the day I die."