4 - An Ice-Spitter

Before Hiccup could say anything, Valka led him through a series of rocky tunnels.

"Wait, what?" He called after her. Taking one glance at Toothless, he took off after his mother.

Shouldn't reunions like this be a bit more climactic?

Whenever Hiccup dreamed about this moment, he imagined that Valka would have a new husband and family in some faraway land where the dragons dropped her. He dreamt of long, drawn-out screaming matches and lots of crying and feelings of betrayal. But now that she was here, all Hiccup could do was... gasp?

"You're my mother? Wha... Do you grasp how insane that sounds?!"

"Come." She said simply, vaulting over a tall stone structure with ease.

"I have questions! Where have you been?!" Hiccup, being the tiny Viking boy that he is, had difficulty climbing over it. He jumped up once more and Toothless helped him over. He tumbled to the floor and was just about to ask another question when he looked up at his surroundings.

"Whoa."

Around him were thousands of dragons, many of which he had not seen before, let alone documented. There were so many new and rare dragons that he hadn't even seen a Gronkle yet.

What really caught his eye, however, was on a cliff side. There was another Night Fury. Well, he thought it was. This was a dark blue instead of a jet black color. It's body was lithe and flat, as if it was made for aerodynamics. The dragon curled up in the depths of the darkness and raised a wing over its face as if it was shy.

Behind him, Toothless let out a small growl.

He turned his glance away from the new dragon to see his mom wrapped up in the four-winged owl-like creature.

"You've been rescuing them," he said, half questioning and half stating.

His mom responded with a small nod.

She made a move like she was about to dive off the dragon, but the Stormcutter used the staff to lower her to the ground with his claws.

Sliding down his wing, Valka replied with a chuckle, "Well, at least I'm not boring, right?"

He spun around to pet another unknown dragon, this one happy and leaning into the touch contently. "Well, I guess there is that one... Specific thing."

"D-do you like it?" She asked creeping closer.

"Oh, yes!" He exclaimed, stepping forward. His eyes widened when he saw the huge dragon sitting in the springs below him.

"This is where you've been all these years? What about when I was little? Everyone thinks you were eaten by dragons!"

"Oh, Cloudjumper never meant to harm me," the dragon in question crept behind her and took off flying. He landed in the shallow waters near the huge dragon. "He must have thought I belonged here in the home of the great Bewilderbeast. The Alpha Species!" She motioned to the large dragon who was now making a move towards them.

The Alpha stood up on all fours and stared at Hiccup.

"Hello, young one." The dragon rumbled, blowing icy breath at the boy.

With a chuckle, Valka shook the snow out of her son's hair. "He likes you."

"Whoa." Hiccup said. Then reality hit him. "Wait. That spits ice?!"

Valka nodded. "He protects us. With his icy breath, this graceful giant built our nest. When food gets scarce, we abandon one nest and he builds us another in a better location."

With another whoa, Hiccup's belly rumbled.

His mom tried hard to suppress a laugh.

"Well, let's get you something to eat, shall we? It's feeding time anyways."

"Feeding time?" He asked.

With a nod, his mom whistled for Cloudjumper and took to the skies through a hole in the crystal blue ice.

A wave of emotion rushed upon Stoick. They had searched everywhere on the island and the surrounding area for his son, but found nothing worthwhile. Upon their journey, they stumbled on the path that Hiccup and Toothless had previously created.

Despite how creepy the sight was, they pressed further until they came to the cove.

There were scorch marks everywhere, and they found a green piece of fabric that belonged to Hiccup. Near it, there was the sight that confirmed their worst dreams. Hiccup's dagger, along with dried drops of blood along the hilt and blade.

Closing his eyes, Stoick's banished any thought about the horrifying picture he had seen in that beautiful cove.

No one knew it was there beforehand, and it was obviously the death place of Hiccup. In honor of him, they named it Hiccup's Cove, and became a popular place to go throughout the year. The Night Fury scales became highly valuable and collectible. You would always find little children talking about the scales they had, and only about twenty kids had Night Fury scales. Gobber dug up some drawings done by Hiccup and they used it in their dragon raids. It seemed that no matter where he went, Hiccup's influence was there.

Taking a deep breath, he stood behind the door. He would make Hiccup proud of him. No matter where he was. In a dragon's stomach, in Valhalla.

The Chief stepped outside, only to be crowded by villagers needing his help.

Time to distract himself from his own thoughts.

After the exciting flight during 'feeding time', Hiccup felt the need to sleep. He had been flying nonstop for three hours and needed some time to think about all the recent events.

"Mom," he asked. Wow, was it weird to finally say 'mom' after fifteen long years. "Can I sleep now?"

Valka glanced backwards. Her son looked basically ready to collapse. "Sure," she said with a content grin, leading him to a room with a stone floor and ice walls. In the back wall, there was a fur mattress with a pillow.

Toothless bounded in and began to make himself comfy.

"Tomorrow, we'll go see my friends in the closest village. Maybe I could get some clothes for you."

"But-" he began.

"Don't worry," Valka interrupted. "They do not kill dragons. I helped them a couple months ago but they are still too paranoid to ride them."

Hiccup smiled and laid his head gently down on the pillow. "Maybe they can teach me how to fight."

"Oh, yes! They are excellent warriors and very kind."

"Great," Hiccup said with a yawn. "See you tomorrow... Mom."

He stared up at the icy ceiling above him. The faint outline of stars shone through the roof.

I wonder how Berk is doing without me...

Toothless heated the ground with a blast of flame and Valka slipped out of the room as quietly as possible. Hiccup let his mind wander before laying his eyes on his peaceful dragon, curled up and already sound asleep.

"Everything we know about them is wrong," he managed to whisper before he, too was swallowed by unconsciousness.

.