8 - Rider on Berk

"Can... We... Please... Rest!" Hiccup yelled between breaths.

"Come on! We're not even halfway there!" She encouraged, about three spirals above him.

"What... level are... we on?"

"Level five! Almost halfway! Hurry up!"

Hiccup sucked in one large breath and surged up the stairs.

"I can't... go... one more step!" He said, collapsing on the staircase.

"Look up," Luneah commanded, now right in front of him.

He followed her order and looked up at the girl. There she was, casually leaning against a doorway with the number 'six' carved next to it.

"Oh, thank goodness." Hiccup reluctantly- and painfully- stood up and followed her through the door.

On this level, the branches were smaller, so most of the floor was covered in planks of wood. There were several rooms on this level that he could make out through the pine needles.

"This is the main level. Where the living room is."

"Do you have water?" He asked. The treehouse was cool and all, but Hiccup was much more concerned about him dying of dehydration.

"Oh, I forgot to mention. The tree requires a lot of water. It rains nearly year-round here in the hillsides and mountains. But because it uses so much water, that means we also can take a lot of the water from the tree! It's a natural water pump."

"That's... Awesome!"

"It is. We have to climb one more level, by the way, if you want that water."

"Is it high up?" All the floors so far have felt like a million steps apart.

"No, the tree is getting smaller. The next level is only ten feet up. I promise."

She led him up the ever-narrowing tree trunk, and took him to the dining room.

"This is seven and eight. Down that path is the kitchen and level eight." Luneah pointed to five steps leading up to a higher branch. "Just get a cup and turn the latch on the spigot."

Hiccup did as he was told and took a long swig of the fresh water. He looked around at the craftsmanship of the furniture. The edge of the wooden counter was polished and had designs of Norse and Greek gods embezzled in the side. The metal sink was poorly done, though. The metal was rusted and dented in places. It was also dull, because the metal was not polished properly while it was still hot. He ran his fingers over it.

"Who did the craftsmanship?"

"My brother. He's the wood carver here."

"Brother?" Hiccup asked. He recalled her mentioning that she was an orphan. Did her brother not receive the same treatment?

"Adoptive."

"Ohhh..."

"What about the sink? Did Jay craft this?"

"Oh, no. She's much better than that! She was really busy so my brother did that. It was his first time blacksmithing."

"Not bad for a first time," Hiccup said, weighing his words. "But then again, kinda bad."

"I know. But, you have to admit, his woodworking is really good."

"Yeah, better than anyone back at Berk."

"So, you were the blacksmith back at Berk? How about you show Jay and I your skills one day?"

"Sure! That would be awesome."