Six

re·veal
verb
make (previously unknown or secret information) known to others.

Its been around seven months since Dan realized he wasn't normal. He's in third grade now.

It hasn't been fun, these past months.

He's cut down a lot on using his powers, not wanting to be reminded how much of a freak he is more than he has to--especially now that he knew why his dad would glare at him, or his mother would always be so sad.

Mum is getting worse with her sadness. She cries every night, fight or no fight with dad, he can hear her. His dad and her have their own separate bedrooms now. Mum's is right by his. The walls are thin. He cries a lot, too; he can't help it, hearing mum so upset is genuinely terrifying.

Parents were supposed to be their kids' superheros, the ones with all the answers. The ones who never showed weakness, who never cried.

If only everybody else knew how much of a lie that assumption really was.

Dan found out what those marks on her wrists were. He wished he hadn't, though. He had googled it the same night he did his powers. He can't look at her bare arms the same now, knowing where the scars came from. She sometimes wears long sleeves, and he almost forgets what's under them when she does--almost.

Dan was in school again, talking to Louise. She was doing more of the talking right now, he wasn't listening. He was thinking about his powers, and how Louise doesn't know about them.

Maybe I should tell her.

"Dan?"

No, bad idea. She'd flip.

"Dan."

Well, maybe I should..

"Dan!" Louise shouted, clapping her hands in front of his face. He blinked and looked over at her. "Are you even listening?" She laughed.

Screw it. I'm telling her.

"Hey, do you believe in magic?" Dan asked, and she stared at him, confused at the sudden topic change. She must've been curious as to where this was headed, though, because she still went along with it.

"No. Not really." She said, eyes questioning. "Why?"

Dan didn't answer, just went on. "What about super powers? Like, oh I don't know, telekinesis?"

"Tele-kin-whatsis?" She laughed, tipping her head to the side.

"Like, "mind over matter"?" He said, quoting the website. She still stared, which told him she wasn't getting it. "Like, moving stuff with your mind."

Louise laughed again, shaking her head. "You're weird, Dan." She said. "No, I don't believe in that." He hesitated for a second, and she was about to pick back up on her talking again, but he continued before she could.

"What if I had telekinesis?" He asked, looking down at his lap, where he was legs were in criss cross position, like Louise.

"But you don't. Nobody does."

He bit his lip, nodding slowly.

Come on, out with it!

"But I do." Dan said, words quick and sloppy at the effort it took to get them out his mouth. He looked up at her through his curly hair, waiting for a reaction. She just scoffed.

"Yeah, right."

"No lie, I do." He said, facing her and pulling his best serious face to let her know he wasn't joking.

"Yeah? Prove it then." She laughed, watching him expectantly. Dan hesitated, but nodded.

"Fine."

A/N - yuck, its short, sorry. I really don't usually write chapters under 700 words, but I didn't feel like making it any longer tbh. next chapter is a lot longer