Chapter 18 - Interrogations

~~~ Noah

"Noah Jenkins, I'm extremely disappointed in you."

He lifted his head from the letter to Rosen Inn only to find Cook staring down at him, motherly concern clearly plastered across her face.

"Hey Cook, could you possibly put your disappointment on hold few seconds, I need to finish this letter for Lady Cathliene." He informed, making sure to add a bit a disdain for the name at the end of the sentence.

Cook placed her hands squarely on her hips and asked, "Doesn't Lady Montego's husband have a steward to write those for her?"

"Lord Montego fired him 3 weekends ago." Noah answered flatly rolling his shoulders.

Cook sighed disapprovingly. "Well," She said with a huff, "If he trusted his staff even a little, maybe over half of them would still be employed."

"Maybe he just likes us better?" Noah offered.

Lord Louis Montego's way of dismissing his staff had been an initial concern of the Manchester staff. Thankfully he only dismissed his own staff. Anyone that had been employed to Lady Cathliene prior to the wedding had yet to be released from his or her positions.

Who knew how long it would stay that way?

"All done?" Cook asked impatiently.

"Just finishing up." Noah signed the letter, Lady Cathliene Elizabeth Manchester Montego, Durseman Peak, Alminia, then sealed it and placed it with the other outgoing mail. "There done." He informed rising from the stool to ask. "Could you tell me where-"

He never got to finish his question, for as soon as he turned around Cook shoved him back towards the table.

"What was that for?" He asked confused.

"That," she explained, "was for disappointing me." She gestured towards his appearance. "Look at the state you're in. You were so busy the other day I was unable to ask you about it, but don't think the rest of the staff hasn't noticed. They have."

He shot her a smirk, "Cook if it was anything to worry about I would-"

"Don't you start." She warned. "You should have told me what happened."

Noah let out a small laugh of frustration. "Cook come on, I'm fine. Can't you leave it be this one time?"

"No."

"No." he replied as sarcastic as possible, "of course not."

"Shirt off." She demanded.

He saw her cross her arms stubbornly and knew that it was not the time to argue with her. "You're going to stand there until I comply aren't you?"

"Yes."

"Fine, but-."

"Just do it." She demanded.

Noah wiped his lip on his sleeve once more glad that the bleeding had stopped completely. "Promise you won't tell the girls." He requested.

She rolled her eyes at him. "You think they haven't noticed?"

"Just omit what you can." He implored. "Please."

"In that case," she informed, "you have to tell me everything."

"I'm not sure I-" He began.

Again, she didn't let him finish. "You can't fool me Noah." She said as she crossed her arms. "I know that something has been going on with you and I want to know what it is."