Chapter 32 - A Change in the Wind

Chapter 32 – A Change in the Wind

~~~King Freddrick, Many Years Ago

He ran.

Ran after the woman he love, while she ran away; a letter clutched in her hand.

His hand grasp onto her wrist firmly, and he pulled her back to face him.

"You are not running away from me this time, Gwen." He said forcefully, but his heart dropped when he saw the tears in her eyes. His Gwen rarely ever cried.

"Flint, I-"She tried, but her words got stuck in her throat.

He didn't chide her for using that name, even though it wasn't his any more. Instead he placed both hands on her shoulders and then moved them down her forearms in an attempt to comfort her. "We'll get through this." He vowed, even though he wasn't sure what it was. "We've been through too much together, to not be able to handle whatever is going on."

The fear in her eyes danced wildly, and she tried to pull away. He knew that if she took off again he might not be able to catch her. He tightened his grip on her arms, "Look at me." He pleaded.

And she did.

Her green eyes struggled to return to the strong stagnate stare that he had grown to love. Some of pins that had been holding up her blonde hair had come loose and her lips, though dry, were still able to draw his attention.

He kissed her, if for no other reason than to force her to stop thinking about whatever had been in that accursed letter.

"You are not running away from me this time." He said again with a silent ferocity as their lips parted.

Gwen smiled up at him, her cheeks flushed with the loveliest shade of pink. Then the fear returned and she shook her head while she backed away.

"I can't fight them." She said as she retreated as far away as his arms allowed. "Not again."

That was all he needed to hear.

"They're coming?" He asked worry tinting his words. He was still trying to get his people to accept him as a ruler. How would they feel when they learned that they would be going to war? "When?" He asked.

Normally when she ran off, he had very little chance of catching her. He was positive that her condition was the only reason that he now held her in his arms.

She didn't answer. Instead she placed a hand protectively on her stomach. He smiled at his wife. Their first child was due within the week, and she still refused to be on bed rest. Although uncommon, her stubbornness was one of the many traits she shared with her family, and yet he loved her for it.

Now that same family would be attacking their Kingdom, and once again she'd find herself having to fight against the very people that were suppose to love her. He didn't want her to have to do that again. He eyed the letter in her hand, but he didn't take it from her. He needed her to tell him. "When." He urged again.

"The next Trade Negotiation." She informed.

That was over a year away.

"Who is the informant?" He asked cautiously still eyeing the letter with distain.

"My Mother." She replied softly.

He forced himself to relax.

The ailing Rramnon Queen was perhaps the only member of her family that approved of their union. The woman had openly refused her husband's disownment of their only daughter, and she had found someway to constantly write to them. At one point Gwen had insisted that they allow her mother come live with them, but her health had been failing more rapidly in the past year.