Chapter 22 - Breathless

Chapter 22 – Breathless

~~~ Noah

The ocean breeze blew lightly across Noah's face. He breathed in deeply and could taste the salt in the air.

He had never been to the shore before. He had never felt the way his feet sank into coarse sand, or seen the rocks fade into an endless sight of water and sky.

The roar of the nearby waves calmed him with a familiar ease. The sound of the sea managed to wash away all thoughts that had been tormenting him throughout his many years of service. He wasn't quite sure why or how the sight was able to have such an effect on him, but he didn't feel the need to question it.

Alminia was technically a costal kingdom; but it's mountainous terrain offered few beaches. The Farfiret and the Wrinery Mountain Ranges wrapped protectively around most of Alminia, defending it from invaders. The mountains met the ocean with steep unsteady descents, or straight vertical drops to the treacherous the waters below. Noah knew of only two sea trading ports in the entire Kingdom, Port Charlotte to the north, and Kingston Harbor to the west.

Both of the cities were quite prosperous.

Noah took in the small beach and couldn't help but feel safe. He knew that there was a small army of guards that had accompanied them and yet the shore felt secluded.

He watched as Annabell walked barefoot with her mother through the serf, the two of them seemingly wrapped in pleasant conversation.

"I see you found a nice spot to think." An authoritative voice remarked.

Before Noah could stand and bow to his King, the man held up a hand to stop him. "There's no need."

"Yes, Sir." Noah accepted.

During the journey to the small piece of coastline, the Queen continuously chided Noah every time he unintentionally called her or her husband Majesty. He still refused to address them by their given names, and wondered why they had been so persistent about him doing so.

Their actions reminded him of one of his first conversations with Annabell. She had insisted that he refrain using her 'title' just as her mother insisted now.

"It'll get easier." The man next to him stated calmly.

"What will get easier?" Noah asked. Both of them looked towards the sea rather than each other.

"Letting go." He answered

Try as he might, Noah couldn't keep his curiosity from asking. "Sir? Letting go of...what exactly?"

He heard the king chuckle deeply next to him. "Expectations." He clarified.

Noah felt even more confused. "Sir, I don't understand."

"One day," he said, pausing to stand and face Noah, "you will." He motioned for Noah to follow him as he went to meet the two woman walking towards them.

~~~ Alexandria, Later

"Mother?" Alexandria asked once they finished their lunch.

"Yes dear?"

Alexandria focused on keeping her hands from fiddling with her dress. "I would like to show Noah the caves." Her father offered her a strange look so she quickly added. "We won't go far."

Her mother looked towards the caves and then back at her, "We will be leaving in half an hour." Valerie paused and Alexandria looked closer at her mother's face trying to decipher what the woman was about to say, "I expect you both to return before then."