I AM JUST A FILTHY VAMPIRE (2)

As he roused from a heavy slumber, Mikaela was first aware of the coolness of the air and its bittersweet fragrance. He sneezed and shook the snowflakes alighted on his head and body off. Was he sleeping?

With his family no longer here, sleep became a fleeting chore. He usually wrestled at nights with the dark and the light, trying to find comfort from either side but most times: He lose the battle. He had became content with his sleepless nights, where he found comfort in his thoughts and memories of the past. Their laughs, their smiles, their voices. A haunting nightmare.

Things seemed to be clearer but only for a while as Mika fought to take control of the lethargy that crept up and created countless horror nighttime during his sleepless hours.

The dark consumed but sleep still eluded, it appeared it had divorced itself from him. He was sleepless at a time, when rest was all he needed to refuel him, to make it through one more day without them.

Sleepless, how unfortunate.

He sat there, minimizing all the scenery in his head. The ground was lumpy as if he were on a bed of earth and rocks. His clothes felt as damp as a flower in the dew of the dawn, cold. Now, he was awoke, perhaps more fully awoke than he had ever been. There were no paths around him and no signs of another person. As far as he could tell, he was alone with the birds who made their carefree songs around him, sweetly.

He felt lonely. This bizarre nightmare is his alone.

"Only if Yuu were here..."

Mikaela murmured under his breath and finally forced himself to carry on his journey.

But something was disturbing here...

He heard heart beats.

And he smelled blood.

He sensed a dandelion scent mixed in the frigid atmosphere of the winter. He remembered how Yuu called dandelion weeds. He chuckled. To him, Mika called them golden children of sunshine. Their bright, cheery fingers reaching towards their mother, the sun, give him energy and hope. Dandelions are like people; vibrant and cheerful in their youth. But when they get old they become white and wispy until the day when their souls float away into the wind. Dandelion.

Mika's nose automatically followed the fragile trail left in the air, his legs stopped being rigid and his joints started to move smoothly again. Was it because of the dandelion scent he loved? Or was it because of the blood he craved? He disgusted himself. He was once a filthy livestock. His only dream was such that he cared for nothing else but to save his dearest family - friends. He would lie, cheat and steal for it. He became someone else, someone he once bore hatred but now accepted. Next, he became a blood-sucker. What could be worse than this? Each day, he had to find a way to survive in this cruel world, he didn't want to be a vampire, he hated them. But as the Queen said the human also used Yuu, his long lost last family, to be one of the mouse for their brutal experiments. He hated humans. What had became of him if he had gone to hate both sides?

What had he became?

The wind howled, piling up snow in drifts, blinding the night with ice-white dust. He walked bend over against the cold, protecting his eyes with his arms. Trees, posts, cowsheds loomed into his vision, then vanished, swallowed in white. Hardly could he detect the hidden path under the blanket of snow, he growled, pushing his legs forward in determination to find the object that spread a scent which consisted of a mix between dandelion and blood scent.

Thump. Thump.

"Closer."

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"Closer."

Thump. Thump. THUMP. Thump.

"Behind those trees..."

Cold sweat glistened on his furrowed brow along with a muscle twitched involuntarily at the corner of his right eye, his mouth formed a rigid grimace. With hands twisted tightly the cape, he dashed furiously and aimed for the trees to jump on. Clenching his fists tightly, until his nails dug into the palm of his hand, but he barely noticed. The only thing Mika was really aware of, was the sound of his heart throbbing against the cage of his chest. It wasn't until later that he tasted a bitter liquid that he'd aware he had been biting his lip so badly it was bleeding with red.

"Closer."

Mika whirled his heels and, from afar, he spotted a pool of black, lying chaotically on the silvery background.

A female.

Her heart thumped in accordance with slow, shallow breaths. Serenity was plastered across his face as he slept. At peace, her consciousness swirled in the land of dreams, oblivious to the physical world. Chest rising and falling rhythmically and slow breathing.

Human.

To be continued...