I AM JUST A FILTHY VAMPIRE (5)

Mika was stunned.

Yes, indeed, he was engrossed deep down in a pool of astonishment. His stunned eyes locked onto unfamiliar grey ones. But they weren't just a grey, that term was far too plain in comparison. Her eyes shimmered like the rare rays of light bouncing off of pebbles on a cloudy day. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.  They were painted with a bleak color - grey but not a dull, unremarkable grey like that of concrete or stone. They were the grey of the last ashes on a fire, tossed up on the breeze; the grey of a pigeon's wing, soft as down; the grey of the ocean an instant before dawn's first rays strike the water. Those eyes glanced at him, and ensnared him from that moment in a net of intrigue.

 Due to his lack of words, her eyes were like a piece of art that nobody could understand.  

"..."  He stayed silence, and so did she.  Silence gnawed at their insides. Silence hung in the air like the suspended moment before a falling glass shatters on the ground. The silence was like a gaping void, needing to be filled with sounds, words, anything. The silence was poisonous in its nothingness, cruelly underscoring how vapid their circumstances had become. The silence was eerily unnatural, like a dawn devoid of birdsong. Silence clung onto them like a poisonous cloud that at any moment could choke the life from them. Silence seeped into their every pore, like a poison slowly paralyzing them from either speech or movement. It lingered in the air, thick and heavy, like a blanket. 

"You..." Successfully in breaking the silence, she rose her head and stared at him with curiosity in her ashen orbs, "I found you lay unconscious just where I was hunting...How did we reverse positions like this?", then she turned away from him, and observed Sanguinem in confusion and fell into silence. Right, why wouldn't she be confused? Waking up in arms of a man she never knew or heard of, under a circumstance which was rather uncomfortable and..awkward, why wouldn't she be scared and confused now? Though, her silence, now,  was somehow comforting and spoke for itself, it was peaceful in a way where he could feel at home and know that, no matter what would happen, she was forever there for him. 

He felt she had started something in him, just by a few words and a one-sided conversation, she definitely had ignited something in him. Of course, Mika couldn't have known what are those that she had aroused in him but..Mika, somewhat actually aware of his..new feelings. Mixed feelings. Uncertain. Stunned. Amazed. Loved? These feelings, these feelings he had for none others than her couldn't end until his body ceases to function and his soul is released for whatever came after. He hoped.. that somehow, they were embedded into his soul, that his feelings toward this female would endure. What does he feel about her?  The question rang in his mind, and he had not yet to focus on answering it. Not yet, not now, not ever. Not when...He was a filthy vampire. 

Mixed feelings.

"Hey.", she whispered to him in a dulcet voice as sweet as any songbirds, hands tugged on his shirt as she grimaced in pain, "Could you help me please? I am injured as you can see.", she hesitated, and soon, a blush occupied her porcelain skin, painting her pale cheeks with a crimson color, as if what she was about to say is a shame that blanketted her life time, "I..I was just going to..help you out there. But instead, I got caught off guard by a low-ranked vampire..And..You know..", her face flushed radish red, not saying anything afterwards. 

Intriguing. "I know what you mean." Mika responded too quiet, too quick and too short, true to his nature - A placid, quiet person. Once as a human, Mika was noted to be kind and upbeat in spite of the harsh events in his childhood. He was once able to keep smiling and be happy because of his adopted family at the orphanage, his dearest family. But as the time passed by and a mysterious plague appeared on Earth and affected every adults above 13, he and his family had no other choices but to grow up in Sanguinem - The city of vampire. He remembered becoming more cunning and willing to do whatever dirty work was necessary in order to help his family, to make sure they all had hopes in their beating hearts, to make..One day, they could see the dawn again.

But, nightmare came fast, indeed. His family was slaughtered. Krul turned him. Since then, Mika didn't know what a "smile" is anymore and always self-loathing and moody. He never smiled and always looks apathetic, disintered, and bleak. Everyday passed by, he wished he could have someone by his side, and lend him a shoulder. So that, he could express his feelings that had been provoked in his inner-self for..far..too...long. But, no one could be one. Not even Yuu, he'd say. 

But then, there is this girl.

It was hard to judge her age from her appearance. She had the type of face that would never aged. Her velvety hair was a rich shade of ebony. It flowed in waves to adorn her shimmering, porcelain-like skin. Her eyes, framed by seductive long eyelashes, were a certain pair of cold and calm irises and she seemed to be quick-adapting under any circumstances. An elegant nose, full lips - a picture of perfection. Additionally, she had this  special dandelion aroma surrounded her, tickling his nose to no ends but also eased his pain to no stops. Had she smiled, the world would sing with contentment. Had she laughed, the world would join with her. And had she wept, the whole world would comfort her.

It was even harder to judge her character. At one glance, she was this sweet little rose, flushed with embarrassment and stammered with unique accent. But point your blade at her, she snapped to be a dangerous predator beast, patiently waited for you to surrender and knelt before her. And eventually, in her normal state, she was noted to be confident with a playful smirk always spreads across her lilac lips and a pair of disinterested eyes.  What unique woman. What perfect attitude.

Mika suddenly felt hope

"Hope. That's what keeps you alive, gives you strength and helps you to fight through every day. But what do you hope for? A better tomorrow? What do you do when you realize that you'll never get that? Do you give up?"

Doubt suddenly shot through him like a piercing arrow, destroying resistance. Doubt at his existence. Doubt at his behavior if it was worth it. Worry grew like a corrupted, malicious and perfidy tree. Its branches twisted. But, seeds of hope wormed into the ground and no matter how large and terrifying the darkness was, it endured like a small pebble to last infinitely and yet grow and grow allowing them to get up in the morning for hope is..what he needs. Yet, another voice spoke: Hope is just a mere illusion which we accomplish yet is unreachable and impossible bringing a dark ending? Is it to fool the mind and defy logic which will come at a dark penance. Such is doubt. What is hope?

"But certainly, I am hoping." He cooed, tracing a ghost smile on his lips and was captured by her. She raised an eyebrow, then giggled. "Hoping for what?"

He shook his head, and proceeded his way to a place where he could treat her wounds.

But certainly, he is hoping.

To be continued...