Chapter 4:OWLs and Alley Cats

A/N: Well this would have been up a day ago, but I kept getting errors whenever I tried to upload the file. So you can blame for the extra day wait. Thank you to all of you who have left me a review. Even if I don't send you a reply, just know that I really do appreciate that you take the time to leave me a note about the story. I generally only reply if you ask a question or if I just have some comment to make, but I appreciate all the reviews you all have left me.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this chapter. I think there's some good content in here, but I'm just not sure it really came out as well as it could have. But I can't really think of any way to change it, so oh well. Such is life. I'll probably never really be all that happy with any of my chapters, but as long as you all enjoy it, I'll keep posting them when I think they're as good as I'll get them. Okay, enough rambling. Enjoy the nice long chapter.

Chapter 4:OWLs and Alley Cats

A few days later, right after his morning workout, Harry got a visit from the same owl that had borne the headmaster's letter on his birthday. It was carrying another letter with the Hogwarts seal on it. As Harry ripped it open and dumped it out, his eyes were immediately drawn to the red and gold badge with the letter 'C' on it. A letter was attached.

Dear Mr. Potter,

It is with great pleasure that I am able to inform you that the ridiculous educational decrees passed by Delores Umbridge have all been repealed, including your lifelong ban on Quidditch. Katie Bell spoke with me before the year was through and expressed her wish for the captaincy to be offered to you. She felt that since she would have enough going on with her NEWTs this year that you would be able to handle the spot better than she. I have to say that I am inclined to agree that you would make a magnificent captain.

I have become accustomed to having the Quidditch and House cup in my office, and I hope to keep both there for years to come. I trust you will not let me down.

Yours Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Harry picked up the next piece of parchment and momentarily froze at the words on the top of the page before continuing down.

Ordinary Wizarding Level Results

Pass GradesFail Grades

Outstanding (O)Poor (P)

Exceeds Expectations (E)Dreadful (D)

Acceptable (A)Troll (T)

The results for Harry James Potter are as follows:

Astronomy:A

Care of Magical Creatures:E

Charms:O

Defense Against the Dark Arts:O

Divination:A

Herbology:E

History of Magic:D

Potions:O

Transfiguration:E

Special distinction goes to the student for this exam for scoring over 100 percent.

Harry smiled a genuine smile after reading his results. He had actually done it. He had all the scores he needed, and he had done it all on his own. He didn't need any favors to get into the classes he'd need to be an auror. He had received a total of 8 OWLs, three of them Outstandings. And he had scored over 100 on his Defense exam. The examiner had offered him extra points for conjuring his corporeal Patronus. Apparently that had been enough to put him over the top.