Chapter 4: Losing Touch

Harry winged his way to the castle, infinitely relieved that his owl senses were telling him Minerva was there. He came upon her office window and was frustrated to find it closed. Flapping his wings hard to stop his momentum from crashing into the window, he alighted on the stone ledge and spied her at her desk as he leaned forward to peck his beak on the glass.

She looked up and slowly rose from her seat and walked to the window. Harry wanted to shout at her to hurry it up but a screech was all he could manage. As she unlatched and pushed open the window, Harry quickly dove into the room and transformed.

"The incoming –"

Minerva let out a startled shout as she turned and trained a wand on him.

"For Merlin's sake, it's me, Harry," he explained. He held up the fringe covering his scar for emphasis. "I've got two animagus forms, but we don't have time for that now. The incoming Muggle-borns are being attacked. Right now."

Her eyes widened as he spoke, and she held a hand to her chest.

"You need to get the Order moving, but first, I need you to give me their locations."

"I have a list of their addresses, but I don't see how that's going to help," she replied.

"I presume you're familiar with Legilimency?" Harry queried anxiously.

"I know of the skill," she responded guardedly.

"If you think of their locations, specifically where you Apparated and the areas around the homes, I can pull them from your mind quickly," Harry hastily explained. "I know having someone in your mind isn't a pleasant thought, but those families are defenceless, and I can get there long before the Order is ready to go."

She nodded her head shakily, and Harry took a moment to take in a deep breath. "I need you to bring forward a visit in your mind. The memories should all be connected, so it should be easy to cycle through them quickly. Ready?"

At her hesitant nod, Harry looked into her eyes and whispered the word, "Legilimens."

Scene after scene of meetings with scared and confused and curious Muggles and Muggle-borns played swiftly before him. He barely spent more than a few moments in each memory before moving on to the next, just enough time to be comfortable that he could find the location.

When the last memory faded, he pulled out of her mind and took a moment to steady himself from the influx of information. Minerva still looked slightly dazed, so he stepped forward and put a hand on her shoulder. Her eyes focused on him. "I'll go in the order you showed me, so have the Order to go in reverse if you can."

She nodded shakily and finally found her voice, "Be careful, Harry."

Harry nodded back at her. "Thanks." With that simple sentiment, he strode back to the window and jumped up to sit on the ledge. He looked back and met Minerva's gaze for a moment as his body transformed back into an owl, and he dove out the window. As quickly as he could, he flew to the gates of the school. He landed just outside the castle grounds and Apparated to the first location.

As soon as he reappeared, he could tell there were no magical presences in the area. Hoping that the family was simply not home and that he was not too late, Harry immediately Disapparated and reappeared at the next house. He sensed one magical presence and was fairly certain it belonged to the future Hogwarts student and not to any Death Eater.

As soon as he Apparated to the next house, however, he knew there was trouble. He could feel five magical people in the home in addition to spellfire. Sprinting to the house, he Disillusioned himself as he entered through the ruined front door.