Chapter 2: Constant Vigilance

Harry violently startled awake, taking in a blurry shape looming over him. Flinging a hand out at the figure, Harry shouted, "Stupefy!"

The figure ducked, shouting, "Stop! It's me, Remus."

The next curse died on his lips as the words penetrated his sleep befuddled brain. "Remus?" Harry asked, rubbing at his eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"I just came from an Order meeting," Remus stated gruffly. "Get up and put some clothes on; we need to talk." He turned and walked out of the room, leaving Harry staring after him in confusion. As his bedroom door clicked shut, Harry swung his legs off the bed and sat up. After a quick trip to the loo, he threw on some trousers and a shirt and walked out to find Remus leaning against the door frame between his kitchen and living room.

"What's going on?" Harry asked him, starting to worry. What could have happened to cause Remus to come to him like this? "Did something happen?"

Remus forcefully pushed himself off the wall. "Yes, something happened. You stumbled into St. Mungo's covered in blood carrying an unconscious woman and disappeared without obtaining any medical aid for yourself. You've been running around fighting Death Eaters on your own, nearly getting yourself killed."

"I was fine," Harry protested. "Just a little scraped up. As you can see, it's nothing I wasn't able to take care of myself."

"That's not the point," Remus countered heatedly. "You've got to stop trying to do everything yourself. That's what I'm here for, you know, to help you. That's why you're meeting Dora. It's stupid and irresponsible to keep going out there on your own."

"What do you want me to say, Remus?" Harry asked, holding his hands out in front of him in supplication. "I didn't have time to track you down. The only place I know to go to find you is Grimmauld Place, and something tells me I wouldn't be able to walk in and out of there very easily."

"If I had known what you had planned, I might have been able to work out some means of communication with you," Remus rebuked. "As it is, I was as surprised as everyone else to learn what you were up to."

Before Harry could think of a response, the alarm sounded, and he spun towards the map. "Wait, Harry," Remus called, grabbing his shoulder as he moved to examine the map. "That's the other reason I came. Dumbledore is setting a trap."

Harry stopped, frozen in place for a moment before turning back to Remus. "He set a trap?"

"While your students have been either unable or unwilling to even speak of the Portkeys," Remus explained, "Dumbledore quickly figured it out and began confiscating the used necklaces to study. He informed the Order that he is reasonably certain you are tracking the use of the Portkeys, so plans were set up to spring a trap on you. The moment you appear he will activate anti-Apparation and anti-Portkey wards."

Peering at the flashing name on the map, Harry's anger grew. "I imagine Hermione jumped at the chance to help," he muttered to himself before turning back to Remus and stating, "If I don't show, won't he suspect a leak in the Order?"

Remus nodded his head slowly. "Yes, that is likely."

"Right, so I'll be back in a minute then," Harry said.

"Wait!"

"We need to keep suspicion off you in the Order," Harry stated exasperatedly. Remus sighed heavily, and Harry knew he had won. "I'll be careful, I promise. Now just wait right there." He Apparated into an alley several houses down from Hermione's and quietly snuck towards the opening to get a look at the Granger house. He felt only one magical presence in the area, and it was one he recognized well. Harry shook his head, not believing that Dumbledore had not brought any backup. Did the old man already forget Harry's escape from his office?