Defining Brook: Fall

fall

verb \ˈfȯl\

to pass suddenly and passively into a state of body or mind or a new state or condition

"I know that look. Brook, I know that look, and you are up to no good," Foreman said.

"What are you talking about?" Brook said, with that same mischievous smile on her face. "I am just planning out my outfit for when I'm going to the 20's. I'm going to be a flapper!"

"I feel like you have another reason for doing this. I can see it from your expression."

She kept on smiling. "No clue what you're talking about, Foreman."

"No, you do. You know exactly what I'm talking about."

"Is it just me, or does it sound like you're flirting?" Foreman immediately turned red. "Better be careful with your words. Don't want to send out the wrong message. Well, anyways, I've got to go steal myself a headband or a hat or something. I'll be right back!" Brook ran off and grabbed the vortex manipulator, which had just been lying on the table. She put in on, plugged in a few numbers, and then vanished in a flash.

In just a few moments she was back, holding a sparkling headband and a hat in one hand and draping both a fringe covered dress and what appeared to be a suit on her arm.

"Ah, I can't wait to wear these! Foreman, this is for you!" She presented the suit out to him.

"Oh, I'm coming?"

"Of course you're coming, you goof. Now go put on these glad rags and get a move on!"

She started to push him away. "Why are you talking like that?"

"Twenties speak. You might want to brush up before we go-ski."

"Yeah, maybe."

Brook smiled and shook her head and then ran off to go change into her outfit. Foreman sighed happily and went off to do the same.

Within a few minutes they were both ready. They came out and looked at one another. Brook had styled her hair to fit the time period better. She had really pulled out all the stops.

"Look at you, all dolled up! You look pos-i-tute-ly fantastic!" she said.

"Well, uh, you look pretty dapper yourself!"

Brook tilted her head at him for a moment, and then rushed off to grab her dictionary.

"Dapper. 1. A. Neat and trim in appearance. B. very spruce and stylish. But in the twenties 'dapper' means my father. Anyways...let's ankle it on out of here!" She delicately set the dictionary down and popped on the vortex manipulator. She tapped in a few codes and then had Foreman set his hand on top of it. In a flash they were gone. They reappeared in a whole different place where it was nighttime, only some street lights. Brook looked around, turning to see everything.

"Ah yes. I think we're here."

"But there's nothing here, Brook."

"Oh, but isn't there?"

She knocked on a door in an odd mix of beats and rhythms and then the door opened.

"Voila. A speakeasy." She went in smiling, Foreman following behind.

Brook blended right into the whole atmosphere, but Foreman just watched on it the background. Brook danced and drank for hours, and Foreman just stood to the side without saying a word. But he saw that Brook had suddenly decided to come towards him.

Brook was extremely drunk, and it was fully obvious to Foreman. She wobbled her way over to him, precarious on her high heels that were more like stilts.