Defining Brook: Nightmare

night·mare

Noun \ˈnīt-ˌmer\

a frightening dream that usually awakens the sleeper

River shook her head at the Doctor. Something needed to be done.

"Brook's been having these horrible nightmares but she won't tell me what they're about. She's not getting any sleep anymore. We need your help, Doctor."

"Hm," the Doctor said, looking away.

"Doctor, do you even care about your child?" River said, frustrated.

"Of course I care about her, if I didn't why would I be here?"

"Well, you sure don't seem to be doing anything about her problems!"

"What do you want me to do, River?" The Doctor was getting upset. River was being unnecessarily complicated. She kept on accusing him of everything but never let him get a word in.

"Stay here and help her. Just one night," River said. It was evident she had thought about this before.

"No! You know I can't do that," the Doctor protested.

"I know you can," River replied firmly. "She's been having these horrible recurring nightmares, and I don't know how to help her. Brook needs her father."

"If you know her so well, how come you can't help her?"

"I don't know! That's why I need you," River said, starting to fume. "Please, Doctor. Help her."

The Doctor wanted to resist, but he knew in his hearts that River was right. He gave a sigh and began to give in, but then he brought up his protests again.

"But Clara's sleeping in the TARDIS! She'll wake up and wonder where I am."

"Oh, Clara. Yes, Clara. She's a nanny. I guess you just want to make her Brook's nanny or something."

"River, I already said I'll stay."

"And I believe you. I just don't know if your hearts are in it."

Brook walked in, yawning as she frowned. She saw her mother and father and just stared at them for a moment. Then she let off another yawn and walked over to her sofa and sat down, pulling over an enormous book.

"Poor thing," River sighed. "Hasn't gotten a good night's sleep in days. She's much too young for that."

The Doctor had already been distracted, though.

"What's that she's got in her hands? That book is huge!"

"It's a dictionary," River said, looking over. "I brought it to her a few days ago and she hasn't been able to keep her eyes off it since."

"Can she even understand it?"

"Who knows? Just look at her, though."

River and the Doctor watched Brook silently for a moment. Brook seemed heavily engaged in the dictionary, so much so that it truly seemed as if she was faking it. The Doctor wanted to test it out for himself.

River gave him a look as he walked over to the couch and sat next to Brook. She looked up from her dictionary with big eyes. Now that the Doctor was closer to Brook he could see just how tired she was. There were dark circles under her eyes, and every time she blinked it lasted just a bit too long. Every movement was slower than it should have been. River had certainly been right about this taking a toll on Brook.

But the Doctor had his reasons for going over to Brook. He moved a little bit closer to his daughter who just kept blinking at him.

"Hey, Brook."