I

Edit: the Deryck Whibley story is always evolving, changing and being updated, so always check back for more updates. Enjoy the read! - the author

Deryck's full name is Deryck Jason Whibley. He was born March 21st 1980 in Ajax Canada. Ajax is a small town described as boring by its youth. Its a suburban middle class area good for raising families.
Deryck used to love Vanilla Ice when he was a young child and would have his mother pay him to rap for her. Deryck was in a group called "Kaspir" for part of his childhood and was once in a rap group.
Young Deryck also loved the show "The Dukes of Hazard". Deryck lived alone with his teen mother and her (girl)friend with 3 cats, one they had owned before named puddles, one his mothers friend brought named Ricki, and the offspring of those two cats named Riff until he moved into the country with his grandparents along with his mother. Now, Deryck's mother has two cats, Chesney and Jazmyne, a shelter rescue adopted December 2014.
Deryck has never met his father and even references it in the Sum 41 song "Dear Father" which he admitted he had written many times before he was bold enough to release it. Deryck's last name is his mother's maiden name, Whibley.
Deryck never dreamed of having a guitar because they cost too much, but to his surprise, he got one for Christmas from his uncle, Keith, when he was 14. The first song he learned to play was "Knockin' on Heaven's door" by Bob Dylan. He kept requesting the "Gun's n' Roses" version not knowing it was the same song.
Deryck claims that he is better at strumming than "wanking"...referring to plucking or fancy tricks...he says strumming is much more valuable and important, but he frequently bashes his own guitar playing ability. In the video making of "Walking Disaster" (2007) he said "I'm not that good." Deryck also plays drums and piano and has even been listed in Sum 41's 3rd studio album, Chuck, for the synthesizer. Deryck said he was no good at piano and said he had gotten worse. Steve tried to console him, telling Deryck that his (Steve's) father thought he was improving.

Another childhood memory: Deryck says that his mother used to make him a sandwich, now coined the "Sumwich" which he demonstrates how to make in a Denny's special where Sum 41 brings the Sumwich to Denny's. It was even on their menu for a while. He said he always asked for it for his birthday. Stevo was shocked at how fattening it sounded when Deryck described it and rhetorically asked "why are you so skinny?" Deryck has also been known to be a fan of chocolate, claiming it was the one addiction he couldn't quit. He also frequently indulges in chocolate cake, even once in a photoshoot and has stated his favorite snack is chocolate chip cookie dough.

Deryck was very conniving in high school. He has mentioned how he hated school. He never understood why they were doing the material given in class and realized he wouldn't need that information to do what he wanted to do; be a rock star. He says he didn't understand why people in their 30's couldn't go to college, rather than having kids straight out of highschool to go. In highschool, he convinced his teachers he was special needs by acting like he didn't understand the material and asking lots of questions. They eventually let him take tests with the text book and let him copy notes from other students, but despite this mischievous behavior, teachers and classmates have said Deryck was very reserved, quiet, and under the radar in school, but still a cool kid who was ahead of the curve. They mentioned his frosted tips, which back in the day was cool.
Whibley's grades were plummeting until the class had a job shadowing opportunity...Deryck took the opportunity to get studio time for his band. He spent most of the time in the studio recording music, meeting cool, new local bands, and getting signed for doing work while he went home and did nothing. He got a perfect score on this assignment and convinced his teachers he was doing more than he needed to. This raised his GPA.
Meanwhile, Deryck held a job at a porn shop where the owner didn't take tabs on the income count. Deryck found a way to change the numbers on the chart and take all the money himself. He was smart enough to know he couldn't buy a guitar because it would be too noticeable, so he and his band bought taxi rides around town and paid huge tips to burn cash. They rented a bus and drove the whole school to their show. The band had played at the school and tried to get everyone hype about it, but no one came aside from kids to make fun of them. Deryck claims the jocks always hated him in school for no apparent reason.
Deryck was told he had potential, but he had to get new band mates. He stole the founding members of the band, Steve Jocz and Dave (Brown sound) Baksh and Richard (Twitch boy) Roy from other rival bands from his high schools "battle of the bands" community. Together, they formed Sum 41. The group was named due to the fact that it was formed the 41st day of summer 1996. They knew it was the 41st day due to the alignment to one of the school's "battle of the bands" competitions.
While playing out, Grieg Nori spotted the band and agreed to manage them, thus "Half Hour of Power" was created. It was given its name due to there only being 30 minutes worth of material. The remaining time of the show was filled with covers. The band loved metal, so they frequently covered bands like Metallica, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden. Deryck says his biggest influence is Elvis Costello. He also loves Frank Sinatra and the Beatles. He says Green Day was a big influence, bigger than Blink 182 and he would love to tour with Green Day.
Although many, including the band, agree their first few shows sucked, they were quite entertaining. They brought trampolines and basketball hoops onstage and really performed which made them stick out. Ironically, Deryck, as a child, hoped to be a basket ball player and was a big Lakers fan. He loved Kobe Bryant and even wrote him a fan letter. It has been said that Deryck gave up on that dream when Kobe quit the Lakers. Since then, Deryck has seen the Lakers court side.