II

The band frequently was broke, using Dave's father, Steve's, broke down van for touring around Canada. Deryck frequently had to mack food off of Dave because he spent his money buying nick-nacks at the drug stores...he said he enjoyed this tour the most because there was no pressure and they frequently toured with other cool bands.
Dave once reminisced of a story from when they were kids, of going to a concert with Deryck and leaving their tickets in the car, miles away and only being able to see half the show.
After a near-fatal accident on the road in which the van almost fell off a cliff, Richard Roy (Twitch Boy) quit. Many other members joined and quit during this time including a member of Avril Lavigne (Deryck's ex wife) 's former band who went to the highschool Sum 41 attended.
It was 1997 when the guys decided to ask Jason (cone) Mccaslin to join the band. Deryck had history with him and knew he could play. The only member of the band in a lower grade level was Steve, who was in 9th grade when the band started while the others were in 10th. Deryck had saved Steve when he was goofing off with jocks who were about to beat him up. Deryck convinced them it would be good to leave him alone because he played drums and needed his arms. Deryck had tried fitting in with the jocks, but never could. He loved music and with his friends, he fond themselves to be the only ones who really cared about music and not much else.
In their youth, Sum 41 made many home videos, some featured in Deryck's home. They spent a lot of time rehearsing at home. The group said they had a specific performance in which they had to strip off their pants and were embarrassed when their mothers walked in and even slapped their bare butts.
Sum 41 has a variation of nicknames given to them. Deryck is Bizzy D because he is always "bizzy" (sexually). He is the lead singer. In the band Deryck used to be in, he just wrote the songs and played guitar, so when the front man quit, Deryck was the plausible man to take over the job. Stevo chose to be Stevo 32 because he thinks 32 is a lucky number in sports. His real name is Stephan but also goes by Steve. He has a sister named Jenn who is older. His mother is named Marg and his father is named Phil. He has an adopted black cousin named Drew who is a long term friend of the band. Dave is Dave Brownsound because he is "Brown and makes sound with his guitar." His mother is named Roxxi and his father is named Steve. He has a cousin who he started a metal group with named Vaughn Lal and he has a sister. His long term girlfriend is named Jen. Jason is Cone because he used to eat ice cream cones all the time at lunch and Deryck started calling him Cone. Now he is lactose intolerant. His long term girlfriend is named Shannon Boehlke. His mother is named Sharon and his father is named Paul. He was named after his father. (Middle name). He also has a sister named Krista.
Deryck's step father, Kevin Gordon was introduced (as far as I know now) in 1993 when Deryck was 13. His son is named Sean.
Kevin's brother, Kieth has a daughter named Teirra. His sisters (Deryck's aunts) are named Karen and Jane. Deryck has another uncle named Kerry. His grandfather on his step father's side is named "Jack Gordon" on his mother's side, he has Michelle Gordon (his mother), Mary Whibley (his grandmother). Deryck's grandfather on his mother's side is a garbage man and on Instagram, is @the_official_garbage_man. Deryck's cousin is Matt Whibley who sometimes played piano on the screaming bloody murder tour with the band...he moved in with Deryck due to a nasty divorce the same time Deryck was dealing with his divorce from Avril. Deryck's mom's best friend is named Elaine Ferrel...she is like an aunt to Deryck.
Sum 41 signed with Island Def. Jam in 1997 after being rejected by a plethora of Canadian record companies. One of them being the record company of Fat Mike of NOFX. Deryck said he was unsure if the videos ever made it to Fat Mike himself, but that the record label wouldn't have been right for them as they were a radio band, so Sum started their debut record with Aquarius, All Killer No Filler. Deryck wanted to write a rap song to reflect on some of his roots, but said it came out sounding like the Beastie boys because he is white. That song is "what we're all about." Deryck also wrote Fat Lip and In Too Deep for this album. He said that they were written quickly and weren't his favorites, but now he loves them and never gets tired of playing them live. Its a fan favorite. Sum 41 introduced their metal alter egos, Pain For Pleasure in which Stevo plays Pain the lead singer. Dave plays Pleasure, the lead guitarist and backing vocalist. Deryck plays Gunner, the drummer. And Cone plays Sniper, the bassist as he is in Sum 41. In the story of Pain for pleasure, Sniper lost larnyx and is unable to speak because of it, but a worse fate awaited Pain, as he died eating his favorite 'rock n roll breakfast' jack Daniels and corn flakes.