IV

Deryck had agreed to help Avril Lavigne with her upcoming album, The Best Damn Thing along with Stevo who was doing drums for her. They worked on Runaway, Contagious, and One Of Those Girls. In 2006, Deryck married Avril on a private estate in Montecito California. It was Catholic wedding with about 110 guests and a red and black reception in a tent. His groomsmen were Matt Lavigne (his brother in law) Robb Dipple (camera man to capture tour videos for the band) Steve, and Cone.

This album, Underclass Hero, was the first album to have a song relating to Deryck's relationship, or lack their of, with his father. There was also a track, So Long Goodbye, dedicated to Dave Brownsound. Although Avril was in a new relationship with Deryck, she wrote many breakup, boy bashing songs and denied any of the songs were inspired by Deryck. When asked about her ballad, "when you're gone" she denied it's connection to her new husband and "keep holding on" as well as her song co written with Leona Lewis, "I will be" were written for movies. However, Deryck admitted to songs on his album being inspired by his love for Avril. Another Sum 41 song, much like Moron (Chuck, put on "songs against Bush" album), called "March of the Dogs" almost got Whibley kicked out of the states for describing a scene in which the president (Bush)'s head is blown off, but the case was eventually forgotten. Deryck openly hates Bush and has made clear his liberal stance. He claimed in an interview that if he could vote (2004) he would vote against Bush. He said he is a "fucking terrorist" and people who voted for him twice weren't stupid, but scared...in the same interview Deryck announced his love for Jack Daniels (whiskey) because it coats his throat and helps him sing, but he also likes Grey Goose (vodka) on the rocks. He said if the band were to advertise anything, it would probably be alcohol.
Steve married Jessy Moss (Australian musician) November 2008 and Cone married Shannon Boehkle September 5th 2008. At Cone's wedding, Deryck played "With Me".
Sum 41 claimed on their Underclass Hero tour, they drank less than usual and it was more about the business. Avril stated in an interview with Jane magazine that she was "the best thing that ever happened to [Deryck]." When asked if there was anything that bothered him about Avril, he answered "nothing". He claimed she was a good cook. Deryck says towards the end of his relationship with Avril, she began going out a lot more and he had to hide from paps...they kept asking about Avril because she kept going out without him; without her ring. The day he returned from his tour, she left on a vacation without him causing speculation. Deryck said there were many people saying Avril was cheating, not making a point to say the allegations were just rumors indicating Avril may have cheated. In November 2009 the couple filed for divorce. According to People Magazine, Deryck was kicked out of his home. Matt Whibley commented on the situation and said many things were going around that weren't true and people were getting hurt. He said Deryck was in this fairytale relationship that had ended and he was devastated and thought he couldn't go on without her. Some sources say she simply woke up one morning and fell out of love with him. (In case you couldn't tell, I HATE Avril Lavigne). Despite being married to a celebrity, Deryck says he has had fangirling moments and met some interesting celebrities himself. He says he and then wife, Avril Lavigne met Chris Daughtry who introduced himself and then said "thank you" after Deryck introduced himself, as if he were being complimented. Deryck says he once met a member of guns n roses who invited him to his after party. In the room, he was telling at an old woman who Deryck believed was his assistant to turn the music up and says he was wearing a robe. Speaking of robes, Deryck says the band have mentioned making custom robes, but Deryck voted no because he doesn't want extra layers after a show, although custom robes were made for the 'in too deep' music video. Deryck also mentions the time he met Noel and Liam Gallagher and says Liam was nice, but Noel avoided him as he has claimed how much he hated Sum 41 in the past.
Matt Whibley moved in with Deryck in a new place where they began writing Screaming Bloody Murder in 2009. During this time, Deryck is featured in a ustream with Evan Taubenfeld, Avril's (now ex) guitarist. Deryck let many friends stay with him and had people coming in and out of his house to party and work from 2009 to 2010. Throwback to 2008, Tom Thacker from the band Gob had joined Sum 41 to replace Dave. He plays piano for some songs during shows and does backing vocals. In some of the videos of the making of screaming bloody murder, Tom has a (potential) girlfriend over named Mabel. This Asian woman later became his wife, November 10th 2013. Deryck began dating Hanna Beth in 2009 when the divorce with Avril was finalized. He dated her for only a year. Deryck began drinking much more than usual. He met Ariana (Ari) Barbara Cooper at the club and began dating her in 2010. In 2012 he and her dressed as (then newly engaged) "Chavril" (Chad Kroeger from Nickelback and Avril Lavigne) for a halloween party, Ari as Chad and Deryck and Avril. It wasn't supposed to be seen, but someone took pictures of them and sold them to the media according to Ari. Then Chad asked Deryck and Ari to a bowling match on twitter in which Ari won, Deryck came in second, Avril came in third and Chad lost. Since then, Ari complained that Deryck played nickelback and left the room while she was in the shower as a prank.
Ari and Deryck have been crossdressing for Halloween since 2011. In 2011 Deryck was just "a girl" and Ari was a boy. In 2013 Deryck was Wayne from "Wayne's world" which was a skit on SNL that eventually became a movie. In 2014, Ari and Deryck were Yoko Ono and John Lennon. In 2015 Deryck and Ari dressed as Sid Vicious and Nancy.
He was engaged to her in 2013 informally, as he spontaneously did it without a ring. He said "I just love you so much. I have to marry you!" And she agreed....she claims she thought he was a "cutie pie". At which point Deryck said "the internet doesn't think so." And Ari jokingly said "the internet thinks you're ugly as fuck." During a video where friend Ryan Coughlin was preparing to propose. During the Screaming Bloody Murder tour, Deryck's health was declining as he drank more and more. He began drinking and disappeared for long periods of time which scared his band mates and friends. It was unlike him to drink without partying. They knew something was wrong.