V

Steve had his first child in 2011 named Owen and has since had another child. In 2013, he unexpectedly quit the band via Facebook. Deryck got an email from their management and was completely shocked and devastated. He was on the down low from then because he wanted to party rather than think about making a new album for a while, but as his health got worse and his drive to party plundered, those who meant the most to him suddenly left him. Deryck says his friends and family took advantage of him; his Entourage who he had brought up with him from his home before fame had betrayed him and stolen from him while he was debilitated and he hadn't found out until he was sober. Deryck went AWOL until 2014 when he made a Facebook in an attempt to chat with fans. He even asked for fans numbers and called a few lucky fans randomly. Later, a fan asked him why he hadn't answered any calls from the fans who had his number since and he said he had changed his phone number and apologized. Shortly after the phone calls, he poured himself a drink watching a movie and collapsed. His fiancee rushed him to the hospital where he was sedated for 2 weeks...he died 5 times and had to be shocked back to life. His fiance, Ariana had one last drink of vodka from her water bottle which her withdrawal didn't allow her to keep down. She says she realized they had let each other down and she knew it was time to stop. When he woke up, he took to his newly developed website to describe the events that had taken place. He said he had started writing already and had his musical drive back. Ex band member Dave had called to offer Deryck his kidney when he heard the news. Ryan Coughlin took to Facebook to wish him well and explain what had happened. Deryck was asking about going on tour, but his doctors told him he couldn't for atleast a few years because he couldn't even walk. He said he felt as if he was walking on hot coals because of the nerve damage and even had trouble speaking, but his mother was a nurse, so she and his wife took care of him around the clock while he recovered. Deryck relearned to walk doing daily physical therapy including basketball and taking tons of vitamins. He had to relearn how to play guitar and says found it difficult talking on the phone without alcohol. He has quit drinking and has even advocated sobriety and donated funds to kidney disease research. His mother and wife have both quit drinking since then. He connects with fans via Facebook, but mainly Instagram. In 2015, Dave divorced his wife, Jen and has since began dating Kendra Emmett and is engaged to marry her. Deryck married Ari August 30th 2015. Now his mother in law is Jolie Cooper, his brother in law is Brendon Cooper and his father in law is Brent Cooper. Ari has another brother as well and a niece and nephew who were the flower girl and ring bearer at the wedding. Sum 41 went to make a comeback at the 2015 APMAs where Dave Brownsound made his return to the band. Beforehand, Deryck started "Deryck Whibley and the happiness Machines" to rehearse with other bandmates before bringing Sum 41 back. This included Mikey Way from My Chemical Romance, Frank Zummo, and Devin Bronson from Avril Lavigne's old band and from Evan Taubenfeld's band.
Dave made a post about his return, but then erased it shortly after to try and keep it a secret, but now Dave is officially back in the band. Frank Zummo announced on Facebook that he is the new drummer for Sum 41. The album and other various items were available on pledge music before being released October 7, 2016. Sum 41 named their your 'dont call it a sum back tour' as a funny response to everyone calling their reappearance a 'come back.' the name was coined by bassist, Cone McCaslin. The album had a mostly positive reaction, but the guys say they don't pay attention to that, they only want the fans to be happy. They have toured all over Europe and parts of North America and Deryck says they plan on continuing into 2018. Deryck says the bands concert in Scotland was special because he was too inebriated to remember the last time they had played there. sum 41 have released their first single "fake my own death" which had tons of positive reactions and was directed by the same man who directed the Hell Song music video. Sum 41 then released their second single, "War" which Deryck says was written at a peak point when he decided to fight rather than giving up his recovery and drinking himself to death. The bands third single "goddamn I'm dead again" invited fans from California to come be a part of the music video and from the looks of it, has vibes of the Fat Lip music video. Deryck says the songs on 13 Voices, the album, were written in chronological order from the moment he woke up to where he was when he finished the album. The opener 'a murder of crows (you're all dead to me)' was about his Entourage who took advantage of him. Another song 'there will be blood' was inspired by something corps. Street drums, the group Frank is a part of (as well as ghost circus, a clothing line) laid out, but Deryck wrote the album alone and produced it alone as well.