III

Sum 41 was the first band to play comedy show, 'Saturday Night Live' after the terrorist attacks on 9/11. This was a major opportunity to the band. Sum 41 appeared again on 'SNL' in 2005 to perform "Get Back" rock remix with Ludacris which they recorded and sold as a single.
The band was beginning their second record. Deryck wrote on tour in the back of the bus while the rest of the band played video games. Deryck claims he would rather play guitar than play video games, anyway. On interviews, the guys frequently mentioned Deryck was the mastermind behind Sum 41's music and the rest of them add their own piece towards the end. Deryck's songwriting took a new flight when he got the opportunity to write and record a song with rocker, Iggy Pop. Critics praised the fact that the song still sounded like his own work despite being performed by the icon, Iggy Pop. Sum 41 performed the song live and appeared in the music video.
Meanwhile, Sum 41 made a video in which the sums were introduced: "Still Waiting". 'the sums' became a running joke to the fans, but at the time, it was nothing more than a dig at the strokes. The video featured comedian, Will Sasso. Sum also made their cheapest music video yet, The Hell Song. They had to call toy companies to get permission to use certain dolls in the music video because of copyright.
With all the work he does, you'd assume Deryck got sick frequently, but he claims he doesn't normally throw up, but in an interview in 2003, when asked what he had gotten for Christmas, he said he got sick. Steve said he was playing it cool, but puked mid sentence.
This period in time, Deryck had been dating Paris Hilton for about four months on their Warped tour in 2003. He said he met her at a party and she seemed cool. In one video, stevo made a remark about her lipstick being on him which he then proceeded to wipe off plus pictures surfaced of the two kissing and canoodling which led everyone to assume they were an item despite never being too public. Although, if that wasn't enough, he claims he never watched her pornos because he was living it.
After his break up with Paris, pop star Avril Lavigne came out and publicly stated it was her goal to date Deryck. When asked about this statement, Deryck said he had never heard that and didn't have much to say about it. Cone claimed he had seen it and Stevo encouraged her to "reach for her goals" and remarked it was a pretty good goal and claimed it was his goal sarcastically. Within this same interview, Stevo announced he had finally learned how to drive and gotten his license. While Deryck was still living at home, Stevo had gotten a place which he painted gold for comedic purposes; he was the jokester of the group and took it to extremes. Dave was married to Jen that year and Cone was committed to his long term girlfriend, Shannon.
Deryck made a bet this same year with Cone, the end result being Deryck getting a huge, noteable tattoo of a flaming horse shoe on his arm. Deryck said he isn't much of a tattoo guy and this is the biggest tattoo he has ever gotten. He also has a "41" matching other original members of the band and close pins matching ex-wife Avril Lavigne. He has a heart with an "A" in it on his wrist near the close pins for his ex wife and an 'X' on his finger. For his mother, he has 'Michelle' tattooed on his chest and 'john and Mary' his grandparents, on his arm, but the 'a' tattoo appeared in 2004 during the pieces music video. The latter were tattoos from the 2010 era.
Avril had been hanging around the band a lot. There was an incident in which she tried to pants Deryck and Steve. Steve said in an interview her and Deryck weren't dating...yet.
But more than just Deryck's dating life sparked in 2003, the band met Robin Williams, and performed on David Letterman in 2003; Still Waiting. It must have made an impression, as Deryck made a #thanksdave post when the show ended.
In 2004, Deryck had wanted to take a more pop approach to the album after Does This Look Infected was less successful; hanging around Avril and all. Grieg Nori convinced him rock was still the way to go, thus Chuck was born. Deryck began dating Avril Lavigne in 2004 when she was 19 and he was 24. They both denied it for a long time. Deryck once said he wasn't in a relationship, but he wasn't single.
All the while, Sum 41 traveled to the Congo in 2004 for a documentary to try and do more than just talk about the effects of war, but while filming, the group was stuck in crossfire. The experience is on a DVD called "Sum 41: rocked in Congo." These events inspired many of the songs written on Chuck. Many of the songs were written before or during the Congo Dave said. Some of the songs were almost lost in the Congo due to the voice recordings on Deryck's phone being lost, one of these songs included "We're All To Blame". The video for "We're all to blame" was supposed to be ironic and was themed as the golden dancers 80's theme. The band claimed this was one of the easiest videos they had done next to The Hell Song. Pain For Pleasure made a cameo at the end.
This same year, Sum 41 made the pieces music video, directed by Stevo. At the end, the letters go from "the perfect life" to "the perfect lie" which was actually a mistake, but the band decided to leave it. Deryck claimed his hair change, (from blonde spikes, frequently making him comparable to Calvin, to long black hair) was to switched it up for music videos, which was also seen in the "Some Say" music video.
Deryck complained about being rushed to make the albums by the record labels. He had just months to complete it which he felt wasn't enough time. This ultimately lead to a break from the old record company, Island Def Jams.
Deryck was only able to afford to move out of his parents after chuck released, but then decided to throw house parties.
He spent some time on tour with Avril Lavigne and evident by photos, lent her shirts and shoes and even his guitar. On this tour, he met her friend and lead guitarist Evan Taubenfeld who later admitted that he was weary to become friends with Deryck because he was "crazy and an out of control troublemaker". Despite this, they became good friends.
Deryck took Avril to Italy in 2005 on a Gondola ride to propose. They then had a romantic picnic. He proposed June 27th.
Grieg Nori was fired for "not collaborating well with Deryck". Dave Brownsound departed for unknown reasons in 2005. He later revealed he was having marital problems and his sister was dealing with emotional problems. The band all knew it was coming, but they were still devastated. The band began to work on their next album. Deryck deems this album to be the most personal. He said he wanted to show the band everything he did as he did it so they could be a bigger part of the process.