Serena's Secret Part 8

Serena sat trembling in the tent as Fennekin stood protectively in front of her.
"Wh-Who's there...?" She asked. No reply. The person's shadow grew bigger and bigger, and a shuddering chill ran down Serena's spine. The tent door began to slowly open, and a foot made it's way into the tent. Fennekin immediately attacked the strange foot with a flame thrower.
"GAH!" The stranger let out a painful scream.
'Wait a minute...' Serena thought to herself. 'That's no stranger...' She pulled back the tent door and revealed Ash, who was patting out the flames out where Fennekin had burned him. "Ash!" She called, running to his side to make sure he was okay. "I'm so sorry!" He looked up and smiled.
"Don't worry about it. I'm fine! See!" He said, as he stood up and bounced from foot to foot.
"A-are you dancing?" She asked.
"Of course I am! What else does it look like?" He laughed. Serena giggled too, cringing at how bad his dancing was.
"Maybe I could give you dancing lessons some time?" She awkwardly offered.
"That'd be great!" Ash smiled, and stopped his 'dancing.'

Ash and Serena made a picnic for themselves while Pikachu and Fennekin munched happily away at the Pokepuffs Serena had made for them. "I didn't get a chance to talk to you earlier because..." Ash started.
"Misty." Serena nodded. "Where is she anyways?" Ash swallowed the Pokepuff he had just stolen from his now angry Pikachu before he replied.
"She went off to find Gary."
Serena nodded again.
"So... How are you feeling now?" Ash looked into Serena's eyes, making her blush.
"I-I'm okay." She told him. 'Now would be the perfect time...' The thought stamped itself into Serena's mind as if it were permanent. "Hey, Ash... Could I... tell you something?" She asked, her face growing pinker by the second. "Sure." He smiled.
"Uh...I... I have... I have a cr-" But her voice cut off as she heard the sound of Fennekin whimpering. "Fennekin?" Serena popped her head out of the tent to check on her partner Pokémon. Fennekin's fur was covered head to toe in black soot. As soon as Fennekin saw Serena, she ran towards her, followed closely by Pikachu, who was also all dirty.
"What happened?" Serena laughed as she began brushing Fennekin's fur. Pikachu had jumped on Ash's shoulder, leaving cute little Pika Prints on his jacket. "Here." Serena said, as she handed Ash a brush.
"What do I do?" He asked, taking hold of the brush as he sat Pikachu next to Fennekin. Serena laughed.
"Just pretend like you're brushing your hair." She told him.
"Uh... Thing is... I kinda haven't brushed my hair... ever... I mean my Mom used to do it but... I just cover it with a hat.." He admitted. Serena smiled from ear to ear and shook her head.
"Here." She took hold of his hand with the brush in and guided it carefully down Pikachu's back. Pikachu cooed in delight. "Now you try."
Ash began brushing Pikachu's fur, who seemed to love it. Serena watched for a while and then began brushing Fennekin's fur again.

"I'm getting kind of tired." Ash yawned. "Yeah, me too." Serena agreed.
"Hey, wait. Before I go into my tent, what is it that you wanted to tell me?" He asked.
Serena's heart skipped a beat. She had forgotten all about that. She had to think fast.
"Uh... I was just... I mean I was just gonna say... Thank you, Ash. I mean seriously, thank you. For always being there for me. A-and protecting me. You really are an amazing person." She told him, and then she leaned in to him and sweetly kissed him on the cheek.
Ash blushed and smiled.
"I'm always happy to help. And I'll always be here for you... As long as you need me. Well... Goodnight." And he left Serena's tent to go to his own one. Serena lay back in her sleeping bag, and closed her eyes, a huge smile on her cute little face.