Chapter 2 - The Orphanage

If you got advice, let me know. I'm not getting to much reading on this. I might quit if nobody is reading it. I'm basically pouring out my childhood p:

check out my blog. Each chapter I tell what is truth and what is fiction in this story. 

www.adoptedfromchina.weebly.com

 ~~~

*Chinese meanings are at the top*

Nǐ hǎo = hello

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 2

            I rubbed my eyes then scooted to the window to see where we were. On a big, red neon sign, it read, Guangzhou Orphanage. I didn’t know what orphanage meant, therefore I asked Mr. Wrinkle. He only told me where children wait for their parents.

            As I walked inside, everybody stared at me, except for the crying the babies. It was crowded. It was dark and dirty. It smelled exactly like when I was in my box. There were handmade beds covering the ground. Over by the windows to my right were cribs for the babies. The nannies wore red t-shirts with Guangzhou Orphanage written on the back. Some of the kids were only in diapers. I thought to myself that this doesn’t seem right. Why are there so many kids waiting for their parents?

            “Nǐ hǎo Mingyu. My name is Yin. I’ll be one of the nannies that’ll be taking care of you during your stay with us. We hope that your parents will come get you soon.” She said with a smirk on her face.

            “I’ll be leaving now Mingyu, it was nice meeting you.” Mr. Wrinkle said with a smile.

            “Where are you going?” Following quickly behind his steps.

            “I’m going back out to do my job, but I’ll visit you whenever I can, okay? You’ll be fine here in the meantime.” He kissed my forehead, hugged me, and then left. I turned back to Yin and she was waving to Mr. Wrinkle’s back.

            “I’ll be taking you to where you’ll be sleeping in the meantime. Do you need anything?” She questioned.

            “Could I get some clean clothes and food?”

            “Since you’re new here, I’ll give you a pair of clothes, but you’re pretty lucky that I even do this for you. I’ll bring you cookies and water for now.” She led me to where I would be sleeping.

It was a mattress that had holes and dirt all over it. At the top there was a small pillow, barely big enough to lay my head down. I sat down with Piao and my blanket cuddling it. I missed my parents. I wish they’ll come get me soon. I don’t like that Yin lady. She’s mean and rude. I don’t think she likes me either.

            “Nǐ hǎo. You must be my new neighbor.” A kid next to me with glasses softly said. He was maybe 2 years older than me. He was skinny and tall. His clothes were faded and dirty. He looked like he hadn’t had a bath in years. He had curly black hair that went just below his ears. On the left side of his face, underneath his eye was a tiny mole.

            “Nǐ hǎo, I’m Mingyu. And you are? Only for a while, my parents are coming to pick me up soon.”

            “Nice to meet you Mingyu, I’m Rui. What do you mean? Don’t you know what this place is?”

            Confused, I asked, “Don’t you know what this place is? It’s a place where you wait for your parents.”

            “No, this is an orphanage. Meaning you’re parents didn’t want you, so you were brought here, “he hesitated, “like the rest of us.” He said looking down at his feet. He was bare footed. His feet were dirty, but at least his toe nails were trimmed.

            “I think you’re wrong.” Becoming frustrated I started raise my voice.

            Yin came back with a set of “new” clothes and cookies.

            “Here’s your set of clothes, make it last, and here’s your cookies and water. The water cup needs to be saved. Once you’re done with your cookies, the trash can is over there by the kitchen. Don’t go in the kitchen, not even if you’re curious. If you make a mess, you clean it up. You can use the bathroom three times a day. Every day we have dinner at seven. The older kids, you, help fed the younger ones. After dinner, you have to help the adults clean up and then help the young ones get to bed. You need to be in bed by ten or else you‘ll be punish. You don’t want to know what happens. In the morning, you babysit the kids while the nannies prepare the food. At breakfast, same thing goes just like dinner, as well as lunch. If you have free time, you help with laundry. Since you’re a girl, you don’t have to do yard work, lucky you. Have any questions for me?”

            “I do, is my parents not coming back for me?!” I started throwing a fit, screaming, kicking and punching the air.

            “Listen Mingyu, it’s not our faults that your parents didn’t want you.”

            “Shut up, shut up. Shut up! You’re all lying! My parents loved me!”

            “Obviously they didn’t. Look where you’re at, an orphanage, for the kids who are parentless. I bet no one told you this but in China, families like to get rid of the girls. Sorry, it’s a fact.”

            Mad at her, I started to punch her. She slapped me across the face saying, “Enough!”

            I started to cry. Tears ran down my face and my glasses started to fog up once again. I lay down on my uncomfortable, dirty, holey mattress and stared at the ceiling. I squinted to see something coming at me. As it got closer I realized it was dust falling from the ceiling. How disgusting I thought. I quickly turned to my side and faced Rui.

“How long have you been here, Rui?” I asked with tears still going down my face.

“About 2 years now. I was your age when I came here. I reacted the same way too. It was the worst feeling knowing that your parents didn’t want you, but I knew they didn’t want me. It was because I have ADHD. What’s that you’re wondering, it’s a disorder where you can’t focus on one thing. My parents were frustrated that I wouldn’t listen to them. They’d always beat me and starve me. It was horrible. I’m glad that I was brought here, better conditions.

“Better? Are you crazy?! Having to take care of kids all day, that’s not what I want to do. The beds here are unsanitary and half of us are barely clothed! The nannies here are just as mean. I’d rather live in my box then stay here.” Shocked at what he said.

“I know, but at least people care about me, and I met you. “ He said softly with a smile. I smiled back. He was nice; I don’t see any problem with him.

After dinner and putting the little ones in bed, I sat on my, what feels like rocks with a smell to them, mattress and lay there thinking what Yin meant by punishment.

“What punishment was she talking about Rui?” I asked, confused.

“Horrible, you don’t want to ever break the rules. You’ll be put in isolation

for a month. You can’t speak or see anybody until then. They give you one meal a day and that’s it. No windows and no mattress either. You have to lie on the cold hard floor.” He spoke with disgust.

Imaging that gave me the chills. Tonight was going to be a long night.