Zeref vs Mavis

I guess I owe you all an explanation...well, it all started with a writer's block...and school...and more writer's block.

Am so sorry for the mini hiatus, hopefully things will be smoother now:)

Hope you all enjoy

Mavis carefully observed Zeref, his black eyebrows crinkled in concentration. His body tensed as he studied the pieces of the chess board, cautiously deciding his next move. They have been at this game for the past 30 minutes, Cana already started bets for the winner. So far it was no one's game. Or it may have looked like it to the other guild members. In fact, Zeref was losing, but not to his own accord. For unlike everyone else, Mavis noticed the distant look in his eye, the stiff posture he held, the heavy breathing, the trickle of sweat above his brow making bits of his thick hair stick to his forehead. To be honest, Zeref wasn't even allowed to leave the infirmary by Polyursica's orders. But, Zeref pleaded that he be allowed out for at least an hour for fresh air. So, Mavis challenged him to a game of wits, chess.

As she predicted, Zeref moved his queen three spots to the right, making a small opening in his defense. If Zeref was paying close attention, he would have noticed. He was not thinking straight. Letting out a breath, Mavis moved her knight and cut right through his defenses. Zeref's black eyes widened.

"Check mate." she said.

3/4 of the guild cheered. Zeref didn't say a word. Instead, he rubbed his temples with his fingers.

"Hey."

Zeref's eyes snapped open as he literally jumped from his seat, knocking the small coffee table forward and spilling the chess board and pieces all over the floor. He scrambled onto his hands and knees to pick the pieces up.

"Um, sorry." Gray awkwardly stated as he too kneeled down to help clean up the mess he indirectly created.

Mavis glanced up to see everyone in the entire guild watching the pair, Juvia stood proudly by the stair case, her hands clutched into small fists.

As soon as Zeref and Gray finished, Juvia gave a signal that only Gray caught.

"Uhg...um Zeref?"

"Yes?" The Black Wizard looked at him curiously.

Gray looked down at his feet, "Sorry... for...ugh...upsetting you..."

Zeref's black eyes widened in surprise.

"I-"

"ZEREF DRAGNEEL!"

Everyone in the guild visibly cringed as Polyursica threw open the guild doors, her lips formed an angry upside down "U".

"What are you doing out of bed! I told you not to come out until you gathered all your strength!"

"What if I don't want to go to bed...I feel fine. Plus, the room feels so tight that I want to tear my hair out!" He retorted, folding his hands to his ches, scowling right at the healer.

"I don't want to hear it!" Polyursica snatched his wrist and tugged on it roughly.

Zeref, in turn, dug his heels into the wooden floor, yanking back to stay in place.

"If you don't move it right now, I'll give you a Tetanus shot!" She threatened.

"OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!" Everyone in the guild hall gave him pitiable glances, this wasn't going to go well...

"Give me whatever shot you want, I couldn't care less as long as I stay out of that prison!"

"He just..." Freed started,