Sixteen: Kai

"Little do you know
How I'm breaking while you fall asleep
Little do you know
I'm still haunted by the memories
Little do you know
I'm trying to pick myself up piece by piece." -Little Do you know, Alex and Sierra

"There you go. If I see you trying to sneak anymore I'm going to be having a talk with Kai." Elena threatened Dane as she handed him half a vial in case of an emergency. Dane nodded his head, "I know, I know. Can I just please go now? I don't like being locked up."

Elena gestured towards the door where I was standing, watching the exchange and seeing Dane speed out of here, sticking his tongue out at me as he passed. I wonder what it felt like for a criminal being set free.

I shook my head as Dane left.

Elena walked up to me, "Just trust him a little."

"The kid tried-no he did, kill me. If I wasn't immortal, I'd be dead for good." I objected. Why can't she seem to wrap her mind around that?

Elena rolled her beautiful blue eyes, "You're making a big deal about it. You're not dead now and we should give him a chance. He's just a nine year old boy."

"A nine year old boy who's been trained to kill." I muttered under my breath which earned me an eyebrow raise from Elena and a stony expression across her face, "Stop being a baby about it. Second chances exist, in case you thought our relationship never needed one."

Glancing down, I refused to meet her gaze. She had to mention that. I wanted us to just pretend nothing had ever happened. It's what I've been hoping for. I didn't want to get into a fight, not when we're about to leave.

"I know. And thank you for giving me a second chance. I won't let you down." She glanced down between us and rested her hands on my chest, a small smile on her lips, "I don't want to let you down too." She eyes flickered up to meet mine, almost pleadingly, "I really need to tell you something."

This is the second time she tried telling me this. I drew my eyebrows together and waited for her to continue. She looked around the room where Dane and Ryker had slept last night. I had cleaned up the mattresses and put everything back where it was supposed to be so this room looked bare and deserted once again.

Her soft hand went to catch mine, tugging me out of the room and into another one near by, "El, what are you doing?" I asked as she drug me around.

"I don't feel comfortable in that room. It's like someone can hear me." She mumbled, pulling me into the next room and shutting the door behind us. I took a look around the small room. It looked like a kids room, from the paintings on the wall and the small bed off to the side. It was musty and old. A small model sail boat was sitting on a dresser, collecting dust.

She stood with her back against the door, keeping her eyes trained on the floor, her fingers couldn't stop moving as she tried to meet my gaze, "Uh...I...after you left..." She couldn't get the words out of her mouth. She covered her mouth with her hand, pausing a moment to recollect herself, "Well...I didn't know for certain and...I didn't know how to contact you and everyone started to freak out and I was stressed and I still am and I had to drop out and-"

"You dropped out?" It was the only thing I could understand from all her rambling. She wanted so badly to be a pediatrician. Was her family struggling or someone died or....the possibilities were endless.

She waved her hand dismissively, "Yeah. Anyway, so they came and I didn't know what to do and they threatened them and-"

I put my hands on her shoulders, looking directly into her eyes, "You need to slow down and take a deep breath."