Chapter 3

Jason bought a new hourglass for his girlfriend. He explained that he just showed it to her and that he really planned to give her something new.

Classes have started and as usual, boring. Therefore, Jason just planned something, something that will put the hourglass to ‘good’ use and that will need the help of his friend, Paul, so he told his best friend about the hourglass during their break time.

Paul could not believe what his best buddy was telling him, so Jason gave him an ultimate proof. Trying not to laugh, he told Paul what will happen in the next minute.

“Listen, Mr. Hamilton will arrive here at the cafeteria, will order spaghetti, but will accidentally slip and the pasta will be thrown to Bob’s face.”

“That sounds really funny buddy but are you serious?” Paul said looking doubtful but excited at the same time. Then, Mr. Hamilton arrived at the cafeteria, and everything happened just as what Jason had ‘predicted’ and Paul believed him immediately.

“This is really crazy dude! You’re planning something, aren’t you?” And Jason told him the plan, Paul thought it’s risky but it’s worth it – though Paul refused to lie to his mom and ask for money, which Jason told him that it will not be necessary as what he only needed Paul to do was to accompany him, be a lookout and make sure that the plan will succeed.

After Jason lied to his mom, telling her that the money will be used for a school project that they needed to do overnight in Paul’s house, the two boys went to a gambling house that very night, far away from where they live to reduce the risk of being discovered. They gave the guard a nice tip and the guard just let them through without further question about their age.

Jason played Poker; and by using the hourglass, he bet big on games that he knew will win. Jason shared some of the winnings with his pal. 

Few days after, Jason invited Paul once more to play, but this time, in a prestigious casino as he now have more money to bet. However, Paul declined. Paul felt guilty for lying to his mom and gambling. Paul even asked Jason to already stop as he already has big money. This started the two boys’ argument, as Jason started calling Paul ‘chicken’.

“You’re a ‘chicken’ Paul. I gave you a part of the winnings; I thought we’re into this together. I thought you’re my best buddy. Forget it man. I can do this alone; I think it’s much better as I no longer have to share the winnings.”

"Don't do this dude. I'm just telling you to stop before you regret it, it's too good to be true. What we're doing is totally not good. I can give you back the winnings you shared with me. Just stop this, okay. I have a bad feeling about this." Paul said trying to knock senses on Jason.

“No man. No one can ever stop me. This hourglass is a blessing and this will help me become rich…the richest! Forget about our friendship Paul; just find a new dude who’s willing to accept a ‘chicken’ like you.” Then Jason left Paul, went to a casino and just played a very few games.

The next day, Tina confronted Jason as he heard about his argument with Paul.

“It’s an argument between two men Tina, just leave us be.” Then Jason faced the other way, to leave her girlfriend but Tina stopped him furiously.

“What’s happening to you and where do you think you’re going? Remember we have been planning to have a date today. Is there something bothering you? Tell me.”

“I have been busy lately, okay and I still have a lot of things that I wish to do, so just please excuse me. I’ll talk to you soon okay.”

“No. No need Jason. It’s fine. You no longer have to give time for me. You’re free. I’m breaking up with you.”

“Wa-wait. Come on babe. Don’t do this to me, you know I love you. There are just some things that I need to do. Why is it hard to understand? Come on, don’t break up with me.”

“No Jason. It seems you’re not giving importance to this relationship anymore. I know it’s only been days but you haven’t been hanging out with me since you gave me the hourglass, and we haven’t talked much since. You don’t even call or send me message and even if I call you, you always say that you’re busy, and the worst is, you even hang up on me, twice…twice Jason. It’s enough. We’re done.”

=======

A/N: I guess there will only be two more chapters for this story, as this is a short story only. Please vote and comment.

I dedicate this chapter to SimplyFictional. She is one of the cover artists who created a cover for this story and I chose it as one of the top3 (to the right is her creation). Thanks once again!