Chapter Four

On Friday I can hardly contain myself, I cannot wait until the selected are announced on the Report.

I can't focus on cleaning, and Miss Baker notices, and giggles, "can't concentrate?"

"No, I'm so excited! I really want to meet the prince!" I truly do want to meet him, but if I am selected, I'll definitely miss Meg and Miss Baker.

"Did you know that when King Mathew held his selection, his first choice refused to marry him?"

I'm kinda shocked, "really?"

Miss Baker nodds and laughs, "She married his brother! Oh, the king was so depressed he almost called off the whole selection." Miss Baker paused. "I wish he did, cause then I would have been sixteen and able to enter!"

I laugh, if I get selected, will I miss all this? How could I not?

Later that night the Report comes on and I hold my breath, King Mathew announces his new plan to stop the rebel attacks in the palace before the selected arrive.

And then he turns the mike over to Canton Smith, the reporter of ceremonies.

Canton calls over Adam. Canton flashes the crowd a huge smile with his white teeth and turns to Adam.

"Well hello tonight, Prince Adam. How are you feeling about the thirty five ladies that you'll soon be living with?"

Adam laughs, "I can't wait Canton, I also am excited that for the first time, I'll choose the selected on live tv!"

Canton opens his mouth in a mock gasp, "Really well let's get to it then shall we!"

"Emmica! You could meet Canton Smith!"

"Yeah, I know! It's great isn't it!"

Miss Baker laughs, "You girls are hilarious"

I turn my head back to the tv, Adam is about to pick from the basket from Carolina. How chooses one, opens it and says, "Miss Margot Ann Ross, Carolina." A picture of a girl with shoulder length Brown hair pops up on the screen, her smile is vibrant. The Prince smiles, "A very beautiful girl."

After a half an hour, Adam finally gets to the basket from Waverly. He makes a big spectacle of fishing out one application then putting it back and picking up a different one.

He prepares to open it, he steps up to the podium. Prince Adam opens the application and reads, "Miss Emmica Rose Waven, Waverly" I scream. I wait to see the princes reactions when my picture shows up on the screen.

My picture shows up, it's the best photo of myself I've ever seen. I look at the Prince, he frowns. "An, um lovely, uh young lady."

I burst into tears.