Chapter Twenty

Carter and I arrive at the palace fifteen minutes late. Carter steps out of the limo before I do and rushes over to open my door. "Thank you, Carter."

He beams, "Anything for you my dear." I smile and take his outstretched arm.

We walk up the marble stairs, careful not to trip over my long, blue dress. I do trip once, but Carter catches me in his arms before I can fall down.

Once we get inside the palace, there are streamers and confetti all over the place! The entryway is a wreck, the party must have already moved through here.

I walk into the ball room with Carter and see nearly all of the selected girls dancing, with many different guys. I see a girl that I remember as snooty Madelyn, start to walk over towards Carter and I.

"Hello, Emmica. I'm glad to see you're not dead in a ditch." She spits out angrily.

"I'm glad to see you too Madelyn." I say more cheerfully.

"I'm gonna go say hi to Adam," Carter says, breaking the awkward silence. "I'll be right back."

I smile, "Okay, C."

As Carter walks away, Madelyn smirks at me, "So you couldn't have one Prince, so you go for the other?" She says matter-of-factly.

"No," I reply. "I never loved Adam, I only ever loved Carter."

Madelyn snorts in disgust and flips her perfect blond hair. She's wearing a really short strapless, red dress, that really shows to much of her cleavage.

"I bet," she retorts. She sees Carter returning and puts on her happy, I'm perfect, look at me! face. "You're back!" She says happily.

He chuckles, "Yup, I'm back." I glare at Madelyn.

"Would you like to dance with me, Prince Carter." Madelyn asks, leaning towards, I'm surprised her dress doesn't fall off!

Carter shakes his head, "Nope, I'm only here for Emmica tonight." Madelyn's face turns ugly, she snorts in disgust and stomps away.

Carter wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me over to the food table where I see Adam talking to a guy I've never seen before. Adam sees me and Carter and walks over. "Hey Emmica, how are you doing?"

I smile, "I'm great! I'm all recovered from my bullet holes!" I laugh. Carter and Adam laugh twin laughs, looking at beach other.

The song changes to a slow song that my mother used to play around the house all the time when I was little. I grab Carter's hand and drag him out on the dance floor.

"Come dance with me!" I pull him to the middle of the floor and he pulls me closer to him.

He chuckles, "I'll always dance with you, Emmica." I smile and put my head on his chest.

He takes my face in his hands and kisses me, "I've loved you since that first day I met you during that rebel attack, Emmica."

I look up at him, my eyes filled king with tears, "Me too C, Me too."

He looks into my eyes, "I've blamed myself for that day, when you took the rebel bullet for me."

"I would have done it again a thousand times, if it meant that I'd get to still be here with you tonight." I didn't know that he blamed himself, Its like me with the house fire. I know it's not my fault, but I still feel like I could have done more.

Carter seems to relax, "I'm glad you're okay." He smiles. "If you weren't, then I wouldn't get to do this."

He bends down on one knee, the whole room stops for a moment when they realize what's happening. My hands fly to my mouth.

Carter pulls out a small box out of his suit jacket, he opens the box and inside is a small diamond ring. "Emmica, will you make me the happiest prince and marry me?"

I start to cry, too many emotions at once, but I know what my heart wants.

"Yes! Of course i'll marry you, ya big dummy!" Carter gets up and sweeps me off my feet literally and swirls me in circles and the kisses me deeply.

The whole room begins to clap, as I stand in the arms of my one true love.