Chapter Ten

Carter's POV

I turn around to see a rebel, holding a gun. He fires the gun, I expect to feel a bullet slice through my flesh, but I don't.

I hear Emmica scream, "NO!" I run towards the rebel and slug him in the face as hard as I can, and wrestle the gun out of his hands.

I gain control of the gun and shoot the rebel. I see the life fade out of his eyes as blood oozes out of a small, circular hole in his chest.

I turn around to find Emmica on the ground, a bleeding from an unseen wound. "EMMICA!" I scream in fear.

I can feel the tears rolling down my face, she put herself in the path of the bullet to save me. I run to her and pick her up, "It'll be okay Emmica. You're gonna be alright." I run to the nearest path to the big safe room.

I run up the stairs, taking two at a time, trying to get to my room. I know there is a passage into the big safe room in my room.

Emmica feels cold in my arms, "Hold on Em, Hold in I've got you, were almost there."

I reach my room and put Emmica on my bed as bitty to remember where the passage is. I love dressers and bookshelves in until I find it behind my desk.

I run back to my bed at pick up Emmica, "hold on just a few more minutes Em, were so close!"

By now the tears running down my face, soak my shirt, along with Emmica's blood. My shirt is almost red now.

I run down the passageway, it's very cold and there is dew running on the walls, dripping onto the floor.

I can hear the quiet murmuring of people in the room further down the hall. I run quicker, I scream out, "HELP!" I run faster than I've ever run before. "SOMEBODY HELP ME!"

I hear the shouts of people and can see the light at the end of the tunnel, "Hold on Emmica!" I run into the saferoom and see all of the selected girls, I see Adam. I flashes a worried look.

"Whats wrong, Carter? Where have you been?!" He notices the blood on my shirt. "HAVE YOU BEEN SHOT?!?!"

"No, Emmica threw herself in front of me when a rebel tried to shoot me." I cry.

Adam runs up to me and takes Emmica out of my arms. I feel numb inside. I collapse to the ground, my father storms over, "WHATS IS THE MEANING OF THIS SON!?!"

I look up at my father and push myself up off the ground, "She took a rebel bullet for me."

My father gives me his hand and helps me get up off the ground, "I'm sure she'll be okay son."

My mother walks over and wraps me in a hug and I cry.

If she dies i'll never forgive myself.