Chapter Five

I didn't do much the next few weeks. We had a funeral, but since the body couldn't be brought back, it was an odd one. We bury our dead, like the humans do, but with more stuff. She got gem necklaces, the rarest and prettiest of flowers, and many blessings. I didn't understand most of it, but I got the jest. I cried quietly the whole time, and our Aunt never even showed up. We couldn't finish the burial because Ada needed to travel to Erabor.
          Our dinner was full of elves. Most were just there to say they were sorry for our loss (elves are good that way, they truly mean it), or somewhere along those lines. There were one or two who reported on the soldiers injuries. After supper, Ada sang a farewell song. I knew most songs, for elves are a merry bunch and love to sing, but I had never heard this one before.
          "Uich gwennen na 'wanath ah na dhìn. An uich gwennen na ringrn ambar hen. Boe an Bain gwennathar, boe cuil ban firitha. Boe naer gwannathach..." I was crying when the song ended. Legolas and I were sent to our rooms, and I cried myself to sleep.

          The day after the funeral he made his way to The Mountain. He knew it would be hard to sway the dwarves (they were very needy when it comes to riches), but he had to get the gems. You see, the elven king had recently bartered the necklace of pure starlight to the dwarves for some other, more valuable gems (it was Ellerains choice, since they were hers to begin with). He set off at Dawn, for the road was long. We were left at home with our Aunt again. She was incredibly depressed because of her sister's death. She is usually very cheery and kind, but now it looked as every smile on her face was forced. She did let us go outside though. There was plenty of snow too. I sat on the benches just outside the palace, watching the snow fall off the large Beech Trees. Legolas was shooting arrows at the trees, causing the snow to fall off the branches. I went over to my practice-tree (one of the biggest and strongest of the trees), unsheathed my sword, and struck the tough bark repeatedly. This was normal behaviour for me, but usually I was hitting it for practice. I was practicing, but for another reason also. Anger. Fierce, burning, anger. I hit my target harder each time, till my arm got sore. I was pretending the tree was my mother's murderer. The beech bark was ripped to shreds. My head was pounding, and my arms felt as if they were going to fall off. Finally, I stopped. My brother was still shooting trees, and my aunt was watching him. I scraped all the wood shavings off my sword and put it away. I sat down of the bench again, and realised I was still angry. I had a desire to go hit the tree again, but I quieted it. I'd have to tell Ada when he got home that I'll need a new tree, or this one will collapse.
         "Ok, time to go inside," called Aunt Ellegra. We dropped off our weapons, and went to our rooms. I looked outside. We had spent a good hour and a half out there. It was almost dinner, but it would be an odd one, if Ada didn't get back soon (which he said he would). The Lord and Lady must always be there first, now both of them would not be present. A half hour passed, and I looked out my ice-glazed window, there he was! He was riding back in one piece thankfully (the dwarves can get rough sometimes). I jumped from my bed, and ran to Legolas's door.
              "Legolas! Legolas! Ada's home!" I shouted over the door. I heard his bed creak, then he was at the door. We ran to the palace doors to meet him. The great door groaned as it was opened (which was rarely now-a-day), and Ada walked in, guiding his Elk to the animal caretaker. He hugged us both, happy to be with us.
              "Can we see the gems Ada?" Asked Legolas.
             "I wish you could," he replied.
            "Why did they not return them?" I asked.
            "Because Dwarves are selfish fools. They said I wasn't paying enough for their liking."
            "Did you explain the situation?" My brother piped up.
            "Yes, but it would sway them no further. I told them when I left that when they were in need, I would not help them either," both me and Legolas nodded in approval. "Come now, it is near dinner and I am very hungry."