Chapter 19

'Macy?  You're not at work yet?'

'Do you check up on all your employees?' She berated Twain over the phone as she drove into the staff car park.

 There was a momentary silence before Twain responded.  'Darling, I just wanted to say, "good morning."'

She shut her eyes for a second.  She was still feeling a bit queasy.  There was no need to bite his head off. 'Good morning,' she replied.

'I called your surgery, your assistant said you had not arrived yet.'

'Well, I'm here now,' she walked into her surgery, ignoring the fact that she was an hour and twenty minutes late.  At least she'd taken the trouble to call her superior and tell him she was feeling a bit under the weather.   If one could term morning sickness as a bit under the weather.

'Would you like to join me for breakfast in ___."

 'No!  ___ umm ___ thank you, but I've had breakfast already,' she lied.  She had not dared to put a single morsel of anything into her mouth, too afraid she'd throw up again.  She'd retched three times ... on an empty stomach.

 'Okay. Can we meet for lunch?'

No!

Macy could hear his calm manner, she could sense he was smiling.

'Twain ___   I won't have the time,' she invented an excuse.  I need to go out and get a few things at lunch time.'

 'Are you avoiding me Macy?'

 '"Avoiding you"' she cringed silently.  'I'm right here in the hospital and I'm talking to you aren't I?'

 There was that uncomfortable silence again.

 'Look,' she quickly added.  'You can come down and see me in my surgery, if you must, but ___ I don't have the time to sit down and have a meal with you.  Sorry.'

 She would die of embarrassment, if she got sick in front of Twain.

 'Can I come down in an hour?  I have a patient coming in just now.'

'Sure,' she forced a smile, hoping her tone would sound ... accommodating

Macy actually managed to see two patients before the hour was up.  Ten minutes, before Twain could get to her, Macy rushed to the bathroom, she applied some blush over her cheeks and touched up her lips with her favourite lip gloss.  Not because she wanted to look good for Twain, she was hoping he wouldn't notice anything wrong with her.

She was just placing her hand bag into her drawer when he walked in.  Macy looked up, studied his face, there was no suspicion there...good.  In fact he looked good, arresting actually, in a dark suit, crisp white shirt and he smelt divine, she could almost ___.

 'Hi,' he smiled enthusiastically, taking Macy into his arms. 

Macy toyed with the idea of telling him she was pregnant, but quickly pushed it to the back of her mind.

'I missed you,' he murmured, indulging in a lingering kiss.  Macy could not resist.   Her hands wrapped around his neck, she returned his kiss, savouring his possessive embrace.  It was comforting, almost taking the weight of her shoulders...almost. She moaned softly, deepening the kiss, clinging to him.  Twain's arms tightened around her, encouraged by her ardent response, his kiss became more passionate.

So involved were they in their passionate embrace, neither heard the door open.  Neither saw Nurse Julia stare with her jaw dropping, nor did either of them hear the door softly close again.  Some moments later, when Macy drew back to catch her breath, Twain looked into her slate grey eyes and smiled.  Admiring her heart shaped, angelic looking face, he let his fingers brush through the soft curtain of her hair.