Chapter 21

'Twain ___,' Macy breathed against his mouth, trying to drag her lips away, but he held her in a vice grip, his mouth holding hers prisoner. Not that her body was complaining, it was feasting on his sensory caresses. 
'Twain!'  She pushed him away to stare at the ring.  It looked amazing, priceless, magnificent ... a perfect fit.

'You will marry me, won't you darling,' his lips brushed hers again, 'unless you are going to tell me there is another man out there who is going to raise my children.' His tone, was gruff, accusatory.

His children ...

Macy dragged her eyes away from him.  She was not going to confess to him that he was the only man in the entire universe she wanted.  Her fingers gently toyed with the ring.  'It's so beautiful ___ how did you know the size?'

Twain slowly released his breath.  He had been unaware it was being held captive in his lungs.  'It is one of my grandma's ___ there were about six of them in my mum's safe.  I like this one,' he lifted her hand to his lips.  'It was the most beautiful,' his eyes smiled adoringly.

'It is the size of a rock!'

Twain laughed.  'Perhaps I may also have had a secret agenda,' he guiltily confessed.

Macy smiled.  She suspected him capable of putting a boulder sized ring on her finger to keep other men at bay.  Macy admired the exquisite white rock, studded with 24 carat diamonds.  She shuddered to think what the cost of it was. 
'It is striking,' she whispered.

'I'm enthralled you like it,' he wrapped his arms around her giving her a tight hug, much as I'd love to stay here, Macy, I must go,' he sighed regrettably.

'Good night,' she murmured.  'Thank you for this weekend.'

'Good night,' he smiled, as he opened the door for Macy to go inside, before he left.

Macy walked back into her house looking shell-shocked.  Her mom immediately saw the ring and gasped.

'Macy!  Congratulations,' she laughed and hugged her daughter.  'Did Twain just propose?'

'Yes ___ I ___ I___ he said he did not want to do it in Franschhoek, because the weekend was for Parker.'  He had whispered all of that in between the kisses he had ravished her with.

'Oh my word!  What an extravagant ring!'

'Yes __ I am stunned!  I can't believe __ mum he did not ask me!  He just demanded, although ___ not with his usual arrogance.'

Claudia laughed.  'Oh darling, be happy.  Twain means well.  He cares, it's obvious in his eyes, the way he looks at you, and Parker is really taking to him.  Parker has changed towards Twain.'

'I know,' Macy concurred.  'They were getting along real fine.  They really had a ball of a time together too.  And Twain did not go out of his way to impress Parker, he just bowed down to Parker's every whim.'

'I'm not being subjective, but I do believe my grandson is a well-balanced child and not unreasonable or demanding.'

'Objective indeed,' Macy laughed, she knew her son was no angel.  He had his flaws, a flaming temper on him, that she was thankful, only rarely reared its ugly head.

'I feel like a lengthy soak up in my tub,' Macy smiled.  'Good night mum,' Macy kissed her mum and took herself up to enjoy a luxurious bubble bath.

     The following morning Macy had barely been at work an hour when the news was spreading like a bushfire that she was wearing an engagement ring.  There were wagers going around as to whether it was Dr. Twain Crawford's or Dr. Alec Stuart's ring.  Apparently it was now common knowledge that Dr. Crawford and Dr. Skye had been spending time together, but everybody knew Dr. Crawford was not the marrying kind.  News had not managed to leak out that they had spent a private weekend away in Twain's vineyard, hidden in the Western Cape.