Chapter 26

'Darling ___ please, why are you crying?' Twain held her tightly, his lips trying to wipe away her tears.

'I'm sorry,' she smiled through her tears. 'I guess, I'm just emotional  but ... they're happy tears. I can't believe you love me,' she sobbed again.

Twain tried to hush her, his consoling words seemed to have no effect. So he lifted her into his arms and walked to the settee. Still cradling her in his arms, he let her speak her mind.

'Twain, I didn't try to ... trap you ten years ago. I didn't think about contraception. I know I should have, I know, but then when ... I found out I was pregnant, I ... I, well let's just say I'm wiser now.'

'Are you?' he grinned, 'seems like the second time we made love in ten years, you and I repeated the same mistake.'

Macy's lips pursed. She was not going to correct him. What she had immaturely presumed and hoped ten years ago was that Twain would marry her for their baby's sake. Now that she was an adult and she would like to think wiser, she knew the difference between sex and making love and that had been the reason why she had refused to marry Twain. He had not thought it sufficient justification to get tied down to her for the rest of his life because she had fallen pregnant the first time around, so the second time around, she figured she'd go it alone again.

He had not fallen in love with her then, but it seems, somewhere along the line, spending time with Macy, caused the attraction he felt for her to powerfully deepen to love.

Twain assumed her silence meant she was still chastising herself. 'We are equally irresponsible, considering we're health practitioners.' There was a boyish smirk on his face.

Their son sometimes displayed that same mischievous grin. Macy smiled... bit on her lower lip.

'What's so funny?' He questioned, somehow deducing he was the butt of her private joke.

'Nothing,' she smiled, cupping his face. 'I'm  ...  very happy,' she whispered, 'and so is our son.'

'So am I,' Twain smiled appreciatively. 'I've wanted nothing more than to hear Parker call me "dad,"' Twain's voice almost broke.

'I guess we can be thankful, this happened before he became a teenager.'

'You deserve all the credit,' Twain acknowledged. 'You have brought our son up, marvellously.'

'Mum and Don, had a big hand in as well,' Macy conceded.

Twain nodded in agreement. 'What you say, you and I, invite your brother over for dinner, at our home one evening?'

'I'm sure Don would like that,' Macy smiled. 'Perhaps you could invite Ethan too ... .'

Macy stopped when she saw the expression darken in Twain's eyes. His grip tightened around her arms likes steel bands.

'I ... I'm sorry,' she mumbled, looking down. 'I was just suggesting it to ... even the numbers.'

'You might as well know Macy,' he growled, his fingers racked through his hair. God knew he had not felt this powerful emotion with any of his previous lovers.

'I am extremely jealous, where you are concerned,' he confessed in a hoarse tone, 'especially with the men from your past, even if one of them happens to be my younger brother.'

'Nothing ever happened between us,' she whispered defensively. 'Not even a kiss.'

'I know,' he crushed her in his arms fiercely. 'But the fact that I know, Ethan and Stuart are attracted to you, it drives me wild with envy,' he lowered his head, hiding his eyes from her. 'When I saw you with Ethan at his birthday, I thought you fancied him, because he was younger, your age bracket, and Ethan knows how to ...  say the right things to a lady,' he grudgingly conceded.