Chapter 24

Macy gasped as she heard Twain's words. She registered the ashen look on Carla's face. Did Twain have to be so harsh? Why didn't he give her a final warning? Before she knew what was happening security was escorting the weeping Carla out and Twain was leading Macy into his office, without a backward glance at his ex-secretary.

'That was punitive,' Macy cautiously voiced her opinion, noting the severe expression on Twain's face.

'She tried to play god with my life!' Twain's face looked murderous. 'My secretary's function is to run the office of the chief of staff, not my private life,' he growled in a sinister tone.

Macy was almost afraid to utter another word. She would never dare to cross swords with Twain Crawford. He would run circles around those who foolishly attempted to do battle with him.

'Come here,' Twain uttered softly, when she remained quiet, where she stood. His arms crushed her in a tight embrace.
'I'm not letting you go.  Ever. Do you understand?'
She was beautiful, graceful, elegant, intelligent and all ... his.

A shiver passed over her. Twain received a nod, before Macy could stop her affirmative response. She allowed her hands to rest lightly on his chest, could feel Twain's body tremor.  His heart was pounding against her chest, his breathing erratic as his warm breath brushed against her neck. So he was not all steel, after all.

'Shall we leave?' He whispered, reaching for his keys on his table.

'Yes,' she nodded, pleased that his angry mood had subsided so quickly.

      'Twain!' Parker exclaimed excitedly, his eye zoned in on his mum's and Twain's hands laced together.

'I'm glad you came,' Parker rushed to Twain. 'I was going to ask mum, if I can call you.'

'Hi Parker,' Twain smiled broadly, opening his arms to offer Parker a hug, which he spontaneously accepted.

'Hi Parker,'
Remember me?
Macy patiently waited behind Twain, for her son to recognize that she was also in the room.

'Hi mum,' Parker beamed happily. He allowed his mum to kiss his cheek.

'Why did you want to call me?' Twain ruffled his son's hair.

'Themba, my friend , is bring his father to school for show and tell. His father is a pilot. So I want you to come to my show and tell,' Parker demanded.

Twain was numbed to silence. His eyes met Macy's. She was just as surprised. Macy had thought Parker was not yet ready to publicly bestow that honour upon his father. Just as speechless as Twain was, she just stared at him.

"'Show and tell?'" Twain exclaimed in a measured tone.

'Yeah, Themba's father is going to tell the class about being a pilot, so I want you to do the same.'

'But, I don't know anything about being a pilot!' Twain exclaimed in alarm.

Parker shook his head and laughed. 'You have to speak about being a cardiologist.'

'Oh,' Twain smiled sheepishly.

'You must bring your heart and explain how it works to the class.'

Twain grinned, 'Contrary to popular belief, I don't detach my heart you know,' his eyes met Macy's.

No kidding!
Macy laughed softly. 'I think he means, you need to take a model of the organ.'

'Yes,' Parker nodded. 'So can you come, please?'

'When is it?' Twain enquired.

'Next Tuesday.'

'I think, I can make a plan,' Twain, smiled, mentally diarising the date.