Morocco

Katie's POV:

I'd been with Brian for 5 years now. But I guess I really wasn't anymore. I saw The Rolling Stones get how they are. But, along the way, something happened to Brian. He wasn't the same, and I think he'd turned for the worse. His love for drinking grew more, he stayed out later and later at clubs and seemed to have lost his love for me. I still loved him, but I just had to get away.

I'd always wanted to go to Morocco, so, that's where I went.

I didn't tell him though, I thought I just should leave. I knew he was cheating on me, for one thing. So I left a note with five simple words on it:

Whatever happened to Brian Jones?

I hoped it made a difference. I hope it made him think about who he used to be, about who he is now.

Or he could've just thrown it away.

Like I said, he had Anita now.

When I got to Morocco, I didn't really know what to do. But, I got into their culture and now, most of the clothes I wear are Moroccan. I have the headpiece, and the long wavy dress.

I ended up living above the small coffee shop where I worked.

Thoughts of Brian and The Rolling Stones had all but left my mind.

I woke up in the morning, greeted the man downstairs, worked the store until someone came along to finish the shift.

The only music I really listened to anymore was the pipe players up on the hill. I called them The Master Musicians of Joujouka.

I walked up the hill slowly and sat down quietly, but they saw me.

I smiled at them even though they could only see my eyes and they launched into another song. I moved my head to the beat and thought about how I'd done the same so many years ago at The Rolling Stones' first gig. I wondered what they were up to now.

************************************************************************************************************

Brian's POV:

"Anita, we should go to Morocco someday"

"I don't know Brian"

"We should" I said firmly as I lay in bed with Anita.

Katie's disappearance was far from my mind, I barely thought about her anymore.

Still, she popped into my head from time to time, and I would stumble before regaining myself. I still had that note.

She'd been gone for a couple of months now and I had to admit, it was kind of weird not having Katie around.

One day I was walking home from a recording session, and I walked past Katie's record shop. I stopped. Turned toward the store.

I'd blinked and went in carefully.

"Katie?"

I walked slowly around the dusty shelves and ran my finger along the 'special records' case.

There was our first single, right inside the glass. I wondered how often did she play it? Did she even play it anymore?

There was a small crash from upstairs and I instinctively ducked beneath the counter.

"I don't care what you do with the shop! Sell it for all I care!"

Katie's voice, how long had it been since I'd heard it? Wait. Sell?

"Are you sure miss?"

"Ya, yes, do whatever you want with it, I'm leaving!"

Two pairs of footsteps came down from upstairs and I peeked around the edge of the counter. There she was.

She was lugging a huge suitcase and was talking to a salesman with a clipboard.

She walked around and her legs were right beside me. She removed the glass top carefully and took out a record, but it dropped on the floor. She bent to pick it up and I moved farther into the shadows. The record was our first single that I'd just been looking at.

"I guess we could sell it and send the money to you wherever you're going, where are you moving miss?"

"Oh"

She turned,

"Um, I don't know, I might go to Morocco, but..."

She trailed off and then looked at the clock on the wall.

"I've got to go! I'll be late for the plane!"

My eyes widened and before I knew what was happening I was standing up and the world had seemed to have stopped.

Katie looked back at me in slow motion.

"Katie" I whispered

"No, I've got to go." She said firmly.

I looked at her eyes and saw nothing, no love behind the tears that had come into her eyes. I narrowed my eyes in care and approached her slowly, my hand out.

"No Brian, y-you YOU HAVE A HEART OF STONE!!!"

She'd screamed at me, and burst into tears. I put a hand on her shoulder.

"Don't you remember Brian?" She said shakily, letting me keep my hand on her shoulder, she seemed to forget and her eyes grew soft.

Then she looked up, a hard expression replacing the vulnerable one,

"Don't you remember at all?!" She asked angrily as she pushed past me and ran out the door with the record in her hand and the suitcase at her heels. I stood there with my mouth hanging slightly open.

"Alright, keep in touch miss!"

The salesman vaguely yelled out the door before leaving.

I'd stood there, blinked and then I did the weirdest thing; I fell.

I leaned back against a shelf, looking around at the old shelves. I felt a pinch in my heart and winced, "I'm sorry" I whispered.

But she was already gone.

"I'm so sorry"

That night, I listened to one of our earlier songs: Heart Of Stone. I lay back and laced my hands behind my head.

'Better listen little girl

You go on walking down the street

I ain't got no love, I ain't the kind to meet'

I wasn't heartless, was I? I mean I loved Anita right?

But did I still love her?

I woke with a start and Anita turned around in her sleep. I sat up and looked around, breathing rapidly.

"Brian, come back to bed honey"

Anita whispered in her sleep and I lay back down, but I didn't fall asleep.

I couldn't.

"We should go to Morocco"

I whispered to the wall.