Release

My time in the hospital floated by. I don't know if it was hours or days or what, but I didn't really do anything. Two objects were my only focus other than my hand; the picture of Katie and the unopened letter. I rarely got visits from Mick or Keith and their girlfriends, but I didn't really care. We must be going back to England sometime, but I doubt I'll ever forgive Anita or forget Katie. When I woke up, I found the picture missing. My eyes widened and I shot up from bed, looking at the ground and around the room.

That's when I noticed the nurse in the corner staring at the picture. "Hey!" I said as loud as I could, I was beginning to lose my voice, although none of the doctors could say why.

"Well, good morning Mr. Jones!" The nurse chirped enthusiastically, "I found this photo on the ground, is she your girlfriend?"

She handed the photo back to me and I looked up at her,

"Yes, she..is my girlfriend"

What's the use, I could try to be happy, I guess.

"You two make a splendid couple! Oh, and while you were asleep, a woman showed up, said her name was Anita, anyway she said to tell you once you woke up that it's over?"

No duh.

"Thank you" I looked at the picture again and sighed contently.

"Oh yes, you can leave now if you want, we are releasing you but just go easy with your hand ok?"

"Ok" I looked over at her and she handed me some clothes that Mick or Keith must've dropped off.

I walked around town in a daze, buying some Moroccan clothes and then changing into them. I ended up back at the hotel in Keith's room. Oh ya, I'm in Keith's room because I guess Anita wants to share a room with her boyfriend instead of her ex. I blew out a small breath and went out to the balcony, took out the picture. I held it out in front of me and smiled at it. I wonder where she is now. I hope she's happy with her life now. I hope she doesn't forget about me. I hope I don't forget her. I hope-

Oh shit! Oh no! No no no no!

My mouth was agape as I watched the picture of Katie blow from my fingers and fly on the wind. My hands grabbed for it but it floated just out of reach. I sat back and watched it turn into a speck as it flew far away from me. I cradled my broken hand and lay back on the ground of the balcony. Why can't I just die, I don't like this! At all! At some point I must've fallen asleep because I suddenly found myself in front of Katie's record shop. It didn't feel like I was a person though, because I floated up and saw her through a window. I saw her sit down and brush her hair in front of a small mirror, then she went downstairs, so, I followed. I "walked" beside her and pretended to grab her hand, but mine just went through hers. So. I'm like a ghost here, oh well. I brought my hand down beside hers and let it rest right infront of hers. She moved around to behind the counter and grabbed a cloth to presumably wipe the windows, I guess. But I didn't really care, I'm just happy to be beside her again!

She moved over to the windows and I followed with a silly grin on my face. Then I looked past her and saw myself, with Keith and Mick. A MUCH younger Keith and Mick. A MUCH younger me. I tilted my head, what was going on?

She wiped the windows and then went back to her place behind the counter. The trio of younger me, younger Mick and younger Keith came inside the store, I stared at them. Wow, our hair sure was short back then. I put my hand up to my own hair and felt how long it was. Image.

Younger Mick and Keith disappeared behind some shelves and I followed my younger self as I walked up to Katie's special record case. Younger me peered over at Katie and I froze.

Wow, she's pretty. I gotta get to know her.

Was that younger me's thoughts? In MY head?? Well.

"Excuse me, miss?"

"Yes?"

"Why aren't these records for sale? These are some of my most favorite"

"Well...I like to keep them out just incase I decide to play them later, this is my record collection"

I notice her hesitate before she adds;

"You can find them over there if you would like to buy one" she points over to where younger Mick and Keith are and the younger me smiles and blushes a bit before heading over to where Katie pointed. I look over at Katie and smile dreamily although she probably can't see me.

He's pretty handsome, I wonder if I'll see him again.

My heads snaps around and I stare at Katie, she fancied me before she knew my name?! Oh Katie! Even though I know she won't see me, I walked through the counter and kiss her on the cheek. She looks up and stares at my eyes before throwing her arms around my shoulders and hugging me. "You gotta come back for me, you know that right? I'll always love you, no matter what" she whispers in my ear, "we're both dying now, you have to find me, please, we have to save each other"

I pull back and she dips her head smiles and then she pushes me through a wall. I peek my head out and see her sell a record to Mick, then younger me inviting her to our first performance, then they leave and Katie looks back once and winks at me.

I wake up and squint my eyes. What the hell just happened?