The Return To England

There was a piece of white paper on the table beside my hospital bed. It was folded, and looked so out of place here.

Maybe it was because it had my name on it.

I didn't dare touch it though, I just stared at it. Who was it from? When did it get here? All these questions could be answered by just taking a dip into its contents.. No. I am not going to open that letter, I don't need more heartbreak, I don't need more fan mail. Still I gazed at it, and still my hands itched to open it.

************************************************************************************************************

Katie's POV:

I still had the key to my store. I clutched it in my hand as I walked down the road with the suitcase at my heals. As soon as I'd landed in England, I bought some clothes and change into them in a public bathroom. As I took off my Moroccan clothes, it was like I was shedding a part of my life.

Letting go.

I walked back out a changed person, you could see my face again. Everywhere I looked, I was reminded of the beginning. Meeting Brian, meeting the boys, going here, there. I walked up Edith Grove and stopped in front of Brian, Mick and Keith's flat. Did they still live there? Probably not together, but..

The curtain just moved. Why did the curtain just move? The air went out of my lungs as I made my way up the walk. I neared the door and millions of memories that I'd forgotten came back to me. My hand gingerly touched the doorframe and a tear slid down my cheek.

Then the door flung open.

A young lady stood in the open space and smiled pleasantly up at me.

"Hello, um, and why are you here?" She said shyly as an elderly couple walked up behind her. "I'm sorry" I mumbled and turned to go, she looked at me weirdly before closing the door. Well, that was a waste, now I don't even know where Brian lives! Maybe I wouldn't even see him again! What did I do? Why did I leave?!

You had to, I told myself sternly as I clutched the suitcase handle.

"Katie!"

I stopped, turned my head; it was the elderly couple from inside the girl's house. I walked up to them slowly and the lady smile.

"Well how has Brian been then?"

What? "Sorry, who are you?"

"I'm Brian's mum, and this is Brian's father" the lady said proudly as the man leaned into her and smiled. Brian's mom and dad? I'd never seen them before.

"Here, come back with us and have some tea!" Mrs. Jones exclaimed happily, I gestured to my suitcase and there was an awkward pause.

"Oh.." Mr. Jones looked up and glanced at me. Oh my god, he has Brian's eyes! Or Brian has his eyes..er.....

"Well why don't you just drop your suitcase down at that record shop you own"

My record store? I looked down at the key in my other hand.

"But it's not my record store, I sold it, I think"

"Then," Mr. Jones coughed, "what's the key in your hand for, Katie?"

That salesguy never ended up calling me, so..

"You know, ever since you disappeared, Brian's being paying the mortgages for it, such a darling he is"

Huh?

"Here, we'll walk with you and then you can come on the train back with us? I'm sure you'd love to see the town Brian grew up in, right?"