Chapter Eight

It's been about two months since that close call in March. A lot of times I try not to think about it, especially today. I believe that's the last thing anyone would want to do on their birthday. My birthday doesn't strike me as that much of a special occasion. It's a day celebrating the fact that I survived life, and grew older, for one whole year. Even so, ever since we moved in together Hayley has always had a cake on the table next to my present before I woke up in the morning.

That being said, it feels like routine when I open my eyes this morning on May fourteenth. I drag myself from the bed to the bathroom where I turn on the shower and begin my morning routine. A normal t shirt and jeans are pulled from the hanger and onto my body. I walk out of my room without thinking, and step onto something that crinkles loudly. Startled, I glance down to find a bouquet of roses left specifically in front of my door.

I pick up the arrangement delicately, retrieving the white card from around one of the stems. My eyes run over the card as I open my mouth to speak.

"Hey Hayley, did Sergio come by this morning?"

She pops her head out from behind the kitchen wall, hair drawn up into a ponytail, a grin on her lips.

"He sure did. He called my phone bright and early about an hour ago at six. I was told to open the front door and forget he ever came here."

I smirk at her. She can be such a blonde sometimes.

"So why did you tell me he was here?"

She sticks her tongue out at me. "Because I don't care."

I shake my head and chuckle, returning my focus to the small card in my hands. Sergio's delicate script is written across the front.

'Pack your bag for a night of surprise. Come outside. Get ready for your joyride.'

Too curious for my own good I pull back the curtain to the window facing the parking lot. Lone behold Sergio's Kia Soul sits turned off. The man himself slouches asleep. His head lays atop his hands against the steering wheel. Somehow I knew he hadn't left after dropping the flowers off.

"Has he been parked out there all this time?" I turn to question Hayley. She places a stacked plate of my favorite breakfast onto the table, taking the other near our front door.

"Yep. I told him to go home or crash on the couch, but he didn't want to ruin the surprise."

I shake my head, letting the curtain drop from my hand.

"Do me a favor and fetch his special self from the car to come eat in the house."

She chuckles, leaving the plate meant for him on the table next to my own.

"As you wish birthday boy."

Not two minutes later Sergio comes trudging in. A hazy smile decorates his perfect lips.

"Good morning birthday babe," He draws out. I chuckle at the new nickname, chewing on my favorite breakfast.

"Good morning to you too. Now where is this joyride going to take us?"

Sergio seats himself across the table. His bronze skin seems to glow a bit brighter this morning.

"That would ruin the surprise now wouldn't it?"

I catch the barest glimpse of Hayley eavesdropping from the kitchen nearby. She scrambles the eggs in the pan. A light smile paints her lips.